Sacraments and Liturgy

            In preparing to look at the individual sacraments, first we have looked at both the liturgy and sacraments in general.  Because each sacrament happens within the context of the liturgy, it’s fitting to take a look at how they work together. 

            In the Catholic Church, there are some things that make her unique when compared to most other Christian traditions.  One of these is the Liturgical Year.  Each year, the Church calendar begins with Advent.  This is the time of preparation for Christmas.  We begin with the Incarnation.  The high point of the year is Easter.  There is the Season of Lent, which ends when the Triduum begins.  The Triduum is the three days before Easter, when the Church stops and focuses on the Passion and death of Christ.  The first day is Holy Thursday, then Good Friday and Holy Saturday ends with the Easter Vigil.  There are special liturgies for each of the seasons of the Church calendar.  And there are certain sacraments that only happen at certain times. 

For example, if you are an unbaptized adult who wants to become a Catholic, your baptism will happen only at the Easter Vigil.  This is a tradition that goes back to the earliest times of the Church.  The months preceding the Easter Vigil are spent learning what the Church teaches and why, as well as helping you begin to come to know Jesus.  At that time, you will also receive Confirmation and First Eucharist.  The Easter Vigil isn’t the end of your faith journey, however.  It’s the beginning.

            The most common of all the liturgical celebrations is the Sunday Mass.  It should be the high point of our week, just as Easter is the high point of the year.  It shouldn’t be something we “have to” do, but rather something we look forward to doing.  It is at the Sunday Mass that we are united with our brothers and sisters in Christ.     To aid us in lifting our hearts to God, to help us learn how to walk with God, the Word of God is proclaimed to us.  That’s not to say we always like what we hear, but if we allow it, it will challenge us to grow and change in ways we never imagined, but God did. 

            The music sung and the participation of the entire congregation also aids us in worship.  The participation of the congregation is a symbol of our unity.  It also aids each of us in affirming what we believe and why we believe it. 

            If you have ever been in a Catholic Church, I’m sure you have noticed the artwork.  The purpose is to help us to focus on God, by looking at images of his Son.  While no one could paint a picture of God, Jesus was a man; therefore images of him are right and proper.  Jesus himself said, “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)  Therefore when we look at a picture of Jesus, we also see the Father.

            All of these things draw us into communion with God.  All of these things help us to be (or become) rightly disposed to receive the fruits of the sacraments.  In the “ordinary” Sunday liturgy that sacrament is the Eucharist.  This is where we receive the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ into ourselves in the form of consecrated bread and wine.  It is where we are gradually transformed into what we have received: into Jesus for our world.  Or should be.  How deep that transformation goes is up to us. 

            The liturgy draws us closer to the throne of God.  It helps us to lift our hearts to him so he can come and dwell within us.  The sacraments give us the grace necessary to be his people and to let him be our God.  They are a beautiful thing that expresses the depth of God’s love for us in tangible ways that we can experience and understand.