Animal I Have Become

Chapter Song: Animal I Have Become- Three Days Grace

Naomi and I were finishing breakfast before we left. I was a little anxious about leaving Naomi alone with the Task Force but I know she'll be fine. She's strong. I turned to her as she put her dishes in the sink

"Naomi, you ready to leave?" I questioned her.

"Yeah I just need to get my things and we can go," answered back Naomi who then turned towards her room. Then Shadow came up towards me as she started rubbing against my leg when it hit me.

'Shit. Who's going to take care of Shadow?'

I felt like slamming my head against the wall. Multiple times. "Uhh, Naomi!" I called out.

"Yeah?!" She yelled back. "Can you take Shadow with you?!" It was quiet for a second and I could hear her coming back to the kitchen with all her things.

"Why do I have to take Shadow with me?" She asked curiously.

I sheepishly ran my hand through my hair and said, "Well I am going to be gone for a week and I don't have anybody else to feed Shadow so... can you please take her with you?"

I could see she wanted to protest so I decided to use my secret weapon... my puppy dog eyes. I made my eyes go wide and pitiful and I could see her resolve weakening so I brung out the big guns. I made my eyes look all glassy and watery as if I was about to cry and I could tell Naomi had given up on protesting it since she sighed with defeat and mumbled out a "fine."

"But what about the Task Force, what do you think they're gonna do?" She asked.

"Who cares what they do. As long as they don't hurt Shadow," I said nonchalantly, but you can hear hear the hidden threat in my words.

"Now let's go," I said brightly. Luckily I had told Naomi about the ability that the Shinigami had given me so it won't be hard to sneak her and her things in. I picked up Shadow and his bag of food and then I had Naomi hold on to me and her things. I started focusing on controlling the shadows around me. Yup I said that right. Traveling through the shadows.

Flashback

"An ability?" I asked surprised.

"Yup," he said. I thought long and hard about what ability I would want. After a while, I made up my mind.

I looked up at Rui and said, "The ability I want is..."

"Wait. Before you chose, there is one thing," he said.

"What is it?" I asked curiously. "You can't use your ability to kill. Since, as a Shinigami, the only way we can kill or have others kill is with a Death Note, so I suggest you choose wisely," he rasped out.

I gave it more thought since I needed an ability that was useful without being deadly. I looked up at Rui and looked him in the eyes as I said, "I choose the ability to control shadows."

Rui's eyes seemed to glow for a second then he said, "Ok, it's done."

End Flashback

Controlling shadows is not easy, but I learned how to control them and there were multiple ways that I could utilize shadows. I've learned one way is traveling through them. So far, the only one who knows of the ability is Naomi and that's because I had to trust her with it. If I didn't, it could break the trust she put in me if she found out.  

Anyways, I started focusing on the shadows which I was using so that they were attached to everything. Then, when it completely covered us, we started dropping as if we were made of liquid. We were put in a big puddle of black that was a shadow. Then I dragged everyone in the shadow to another one nearby and the rest of the traveling went fast. To explain, since we weren't a normal shadow (we weren't a shadow that was made by an object hit with light) we moved slow. But if we connected to other shadows, our own shadow puddle moved at speeds of about 200 mph so it was a really short trip. Even then, the sensation of being the puddle of a shadow is strange. You could see everything around you, but no one could see you. You couldn't even see yourself because we were shadows. We could only feel. I could feel Shadow in my arms and Naomi holding on to me and nothing else. I couldn't feel pain in this form. In a way, it felt like an out of body experience, which is strange.