18. the wedding dress

Rumors around the manor said that Price refused to give Web any explanation. The day after the brawl, everything seemed normal during breakfast. Everyone ate around the table, discussed their plans for the day as if Price did not struggle to eat with a swollen face. The moment Price walked out of the breakfast room with Gale, those around the table discussed the brawl, but it was only to wager on the reason. Even Simone placed her money on Price having affections for Charity.

After breaking fast, Daniel went to the fields with Harry, Web, and Damon. They discussed rent and poor harvest as they rode their horses. The three men even discussed Price and how odd it was for him to box a man he considered his friend. The matter was dropped as soon as Harry reminded them it was not their business. Daniel tried to ask Harry if he there was a chance that the man may have already found good reasons to suit his sister, but the future earl expertly diverted the conversation to Web's struggles with their shipping lines. He did not try to push the matter again after that, telling himself that Harry may need more time. And Emmeline most definitely did not need the pressure. The only thing he had to do now was be patient and hopeful. And to endure the coming days as they grew more challenging.

He could not count the number of times she would suddenly come into his thoughts. Like a sudden attack of wind on a mild day. Her face would flash with a blink, and her voice with a simple mention of her name. He was certain he could manage to control these attacks as he did before, but it was not likely to happen in Abberton. Back home, he could do that for certain. But not here where everything in the estate reminded him of her, of the stories she shared, of her words and dreams.

When they arrived at the manor for luncheon, Mrs. Keating, the housekeeper, saw them as she crossed the courtyard to get from one side of the manor to the other. "Good. You're back. Would you boys be kind to find Roxie and Freda? I'm sure they're in the woods. I don't want cold food on the table!" she ordered just as she disappeared.

It still surprised Daniel that even Harry, the future earl, would take orders from someone under his employ. He joined the three men into the woods to search for the two youngest Stratfords, careful to not fall into one of the traps.

"Do you even know where to find them?" he asked.

"They're in the cabin," Web replied, pulling him to the side, absently pointing at a potential trap.

"Which one?"

"That one," Damon replied with a tilt of his chin. The cabin was off the path and deftly hidden from view. It looked like someone collected scraps of wood and nailed it together into a box.

"Roxie! Freda! It's time for luncheon!" Web called out as they neared.

"We'll be there!" Freda's voice said from inside the cabin.

Harry sighed and entered, followed by Damon. "Pack up now."

Daniel stepped into the tiny place after Web while Harry and Damon helped the two girls close a giant chest. He wondered why he did not know about this cabin. Simone never told him in her letters.

"Lydia calls it the treasure chest," Web told him, sensing his curiosity. "It contains things that belonged to our parents. Old man's idea." His friend guided him out of the cabin as Roxie and Freda straightened and turned toward the door. "We're sentimental that way, my friend," Web said with a chuckle, playfully pushing Roxie and Freda out the door. "The two of you, straight to the manor."

Damon fell behind as he locked the door, Harry walking up ahead to walk with the girls. "You picked anything that belonged to your parents and placed it in a chest?"

"Yes," Web said with a sigh, digging his hands in his pockets. "You must know it was—is—our biggest loss. Six lives, Daniel. We lost six lives that day. Not counting the hundreds of others who perished with them."