17. Greener ꡌ‍ꡙ‍ꡚ‍

Today, I wasn't in the mood to do much of anything, not even eat. I just wasn't feeling like myself, I guess. I barely slept last night. Then, I was reminded of the nightmare I had. I can't even remember the last time I had a nightmare. This one was horrible. I can't remember all of it, but I do remember meeting some important people in the music industry, and they were happy to meet me. They bought me a lot of gifts that I normally wouldn't get excited about. After I accepted the gifts, their faces turned into anger and they started yelling at me. It was weird and uncalled for. I remember crying and asking for help, but they just kept yelling at me. I'm not sure what it means, but there was an image that kept coming up. It was a statue similar to the Statue of Liberty but it had an animal's head. With every move I made, it turned it's head to look at me. Maybe that's why I have a headache.

After not being able to sleep, I got out of bed around 9:30 a.m. Oh, Wednesday! Just one more day before Zeke returns. In the bathroom, I prepared for the day. My face seemed more worse than the day before. It could be stress related, because I haven't really ate differently than I would back home. After washing my face, I stepped in the shower. Soon, I was getting dressed and putting on my shoes. As much as I wanted to stay in my room, I knew I couldn't. So, I grabbed my notebook and the brochure that Zack gave me yesterday. My plan was to learn my way around the house. Once I made it outside, standing at the front doors, I began my journey. 

The rooms that I knew about already did not compare to the ballroom and the gym. The ballroom had a grand piano that was on a small stage. It was decorated so beautifully. The gym was the size of my high school gym. They had an entire basketball court with a dance room and an equipment room. How much money do these people have?

"Ugh," I touched my stomach. I didn't have my phone to call Bridgette, but I'm sure it was lunch time. I made my way to the kitchen and smiled when I saw Warren wiping down the table.

"I must be early," I said to myself.

"No. You're right on time." 

How did he hear me?

Warren put the dish rag on a rolling cart before smiling at me. "What would you like to eat?"

"Anything. I didn't eat breakfast this morning."

"No problem. I'll let the chef know." 

"Thank you."

Warren left, pushing the cart to the kitchen.

I took a seat at the table with my notebook and the brochure sitting in the chair next to me.  As I was lost in thought, my eyes came across a family portrait. I don't know how I ever missed it before. It hung over the fire place which I'm just now seeing, as well. Mr. and Mrs. Rivers were sitting in the middle of a red sofa. They looked so happy. Zack wore a big smile as he sat next to his father, and Zeke was pointing ahead with his eyes slightly closed as he sat next to his mother. I could just hear him saying something like "what you talkin' bout, Willis?" 

 I could just hear him saying something like "what you talkin' bout, Willis?" 

They couldn't be no more than 10 years old. I am definitely going to ask Zeke about it. "Mmhhh-hmmm... mmmhh-hmmm..." I hummed the melody to one of the songs I wrote. I closed my eyes and sang, "I don't want to lose... you mean something to me... you do something to me... mmmm.... ohhh yeah..."

"Good afternoon, Jamie!" Bridgette placed a tray of fruits, deli meat, cheese and crackers in front of me. "Here's a light snack for now. The food for lunch should be done in about 30 minutes."

"Oh, this is perfect," I told her. Nothing like fancy finger-food to snatch those hunger pains. I don't know what they put in this stuff, but it looks and tastes amazing. 

Bridgette smiled, "Good. I hope you've been enjoying yourself. I know it can be hard trying to adjust to a new place."

With my mouth already stuffed, I nodded my head. "Sorry." I quickly chewed. After a sip of water, I said to her, "I was upset at Zeke for leaving, but I realized that this is my journey, you know? Even though he's helping me, I still have to do the work."

Bridgette narrowed her eyes at me. "Yes..."

"Oh, you don't know. I'm here to work on my career. Zeke is helping me find my way."

Bridgette replied, "I didn't know that. Congratulations to you. I would've put some inspirational decor in your room to remind you of your dreams."

"Aww... don't worry about it. Waking up in a purple room with the view that I have is enough inspiration on it's own. You did an amazing job."

"Thank you, Jamie."

It was then that I realized everyone knew me as Jamie except for Zeke's parents. Something else I have to bring to his attention. 

"While you wait for lunch, if you want, you can take that tray with you to the garden outside. I don't know if you've had the chance to see it yet."

"Not really," I told her. 

"There's multiple ways out there. If you step into the hall and go straight, there's a door to the garden," she directed me.

"I'll do that." I got up and stacked my tray with my notebook, brochure, and glasses of water and apple juice. "Thank you, Bridgette. I'll be back to eat lunch."

Bridgette waved at me as I left the dining room. I walked about 10 feet to the door. I opened it to a small patio. The cool breeze hit my arms, feeling like A/C was blowing directly on me. "That feels so good." After the third wind blow, I wish I had wore a sweater.

The patio furniture was the cutest black and white set I've ever seen. It looked as if it came right out of an interior design magazine. I sat my tray on the wicker table and took a seat. After a few bites of food, I felt relaxed. This is definitely the life. Then, I remembered the garden. I stood up and walked to the back of the house. There is stood - tall, green, and never ending. 

I walked over to it and touched the sculpted bush in front of me. It was so beautiful. I could only describe it as a... as a... I looked a little closer to realize that it was artificial. My eyes grew wide. I took a step back to look at the height and analyze the the shapes of the plants. I was hurt yet a little curious.

I walked along the side of the green wall until I reached an opening. Just as I thought, it's a maze. Why isn't this on the brochure? I took multiple guesses on which way to turn. It wasn't long before I ended up in the center of it all. There was a green plant in the shape of an animal that I didn't recognize, but it had horns. Is that a bull? I probably should've finished college and changed my major to zoology, because I don't know what kind of animal this is. It had the body of a man with its arms raised like it was showing off it's muscles. I walked around it trying to figure out the meaning. Was this art? Did it mean anything to the Rivers? Note to self, that's another question to ask Zeke.

At this point, I'm sure it's been 30 minutes. I headed out of the maze and picked up my tray at the patio area. Before going inside the house, I turned to look at the Secret Garden. Now that I know it's not real, it appeared greener than the grass on the ground. The phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" kept running through my mind. Unfortunately, my Secret Garden was nowhere near a garden. It was more like a mystery maze.