And this, perhaps, is the reason why I get these dreams. Although, my father has left that world, he doesn't approve of their ways, but he would never cut ties with them. And, as a I am the second in line of girls of age, my father has a hope of getting me married to Antares . He has never voiced it. But I know it. I have since forever. And hence, the dreams, I suppose.

With one last glance in the mirror, I grab a coat, a jacket and some shoes, and run down stairs. My mother greets me in the kitchen.

"You will come back after the ceremony, right? You can't miss such an important event". She says worriedly

"Of course, mother". I smile at her.

***

My mind is filled with thoughts.  I know exactly what will happen tonight. My mother would doll me up to the best she can, as after ages, we were invited to the grand Ball of the Familia.  At first, I didn't understand why father wanted us to attend such a gathering. We were never accepted. But then I realized, if Antares had send out the invitation himself, that meant he would include us in the Familia.  Which, to be frank, I really didn't want to be part of. But, I promised my mother and knew she wouldn't take no for an answer. So, here I am, putting on the best gown, makeup, and most expensive pieces of jewelry my mother owns to attend the ball.   As I look into the mirror, I admire myself and smile slightly. I know I look good enough to impress any man I want. But that has never been a priority.

***

Antares

I wanted to get a moment of peace. Ever since the death of my father, the burden on my shoulders has been so immense, I barely get to catch my breath.

"Antares ! You are home!" A familiar voice sounded, as my mother entered my room, holding some papers in her hands. She looked at me with worry in her eyes, but smiled when she saw me standing up from my bed and walking towards her. Given her mental illness, I had to be extra careful and protective of her.

"What brings you here?" I asked curiously.

"Well," she started, "I've heard about what happened in the mafia. It seems like there's nothing I can do to help you."

I nodded sadly, trying to keep my tears away. My mother was one of the few people who actually cared for me. She was usually kept away from what happened at work but occasionally, word got to her and she panicked.

"Antares , my dear son. Have you given a thought to getting married?"  She asked, gently touching my cheek.

Married? To whom?

A beautiful woman that I could not see myself loving more than anyone else?

No way. Not a chance.

I shook my head, avoiding looking into my mother's bright brown eyes.

"That is okay. But I have something for you anyway." She continued.

She turned around, leaving me speechless. What did she mean by this? Was she going to give me an engagement ring or something?

She placed a small box in my hand, closing my fingers around it.

"What is this?" I asked hesitantly.

My mother smiled at me reassuringly.

I opened the box, and inside, lied an engagement ring, which made me gasp.

"This is too much". I stated, "I'm not ready for marriage"

My mother sighed sadly. "You can at least try? For my sake? Just look around and see if you like someone tonight?" I shrugged, "Sure".

My mom gave me a kiss on the forehead before excusing herself. This ball was for me to choose a bride, as I had expected it to be. But the familia was in for some more disappointment. Antares Buonarrati, cannot marry so soon, not before I take the revenge of my father.