Chaper 8

"Do it again...and your dead." The man said. 

"Your from lake town I presume." Balin said stepping forward. The man lifted his bow to him and Balin put his hands up in defense. "That barge over there..." Balin said, glancing over at the boat docked on the shore "Wouldn't be available for hire...by any chance?" He asked cautiously.

"What makes you think I would help you?" The man asked as he began to load the barrels onto the boat. "Those boots have seen better days. As has that coat. I'm sure you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" Balin asked. "A boy and two girls." The man replied. "And your wife I imagine she's a beauty." Balin said with a small smile.

"Aye....she was." The man said in a sad tone. "Oh i'm sorry I- I didn't mean to-" Balin started before he was cut off. "Oh come on, come on enough of the niceties." Dwalin said impatiently. "What's your hurry?" The man asked. "What's it to you?" Dwalin shot back. " I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands." He said.

"We are simple merchants from the blue mountains, traveling to see our kin, in the iron hills." Balin said with a small smile as he did his best to convince him to help us. "What of the girl? She is no dwarf." He said, pointing to me.

"I am a skin changer. I have business to attend to in the Iron Hills." I said. The man nodded, then continued speaking "What makes you think I would help you?" Thorin then took a step forward towards him. "We need food, weapons, supplies..can you help us?" Thorin asked.  

"I know where these barrels came from." The man said. "What of it?" Thorin asked. I don't know what business you had with the elves, but i'm guessing it didn't end well. All our wealth comes from trade with the Woodland realm. The master wood see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." The man stated as he ran his fingers over the chipped edges of the barrels.

"Offer him more." Thorin whispered to Balin. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen." Balin said. "Aye...but for that...you would need a smuggler." The man said. "For which we would pay, double." Balin said. This seemed to get the man interested and in a matter of minutes we were on the boat and on our way to Laketown.

"Watch out!" I shouted angrily as the boat nearly collided with a large rock. "What are you trying to do drown us?" Thorin asked as he glared at the man. "I was born and bred on these waters master dwarf. If I wanted to drown you I would not do it here." The man replied. I sighed and walked to the edge of the boat. As I looked across the cold water. "I've had enough of this lippy lake man. I saw we thrown him over the side and be done with him." Dwalin said gruffly.

"Oh Bard! His name's Bard!" Bilbo said as he crossed his arms over his chest. "And how do you know?" Bofur asked curiously. "Uh I asked him." Bilbo said. "I don't care what he calls himself I don't like him."I said. "I agree with the lass." Dwalin said gruffly. "You don't have to like him. You simply have to pay him. Come on lads. Turn out your pockets." Balin said. I reached into my boot and grabbed the few coins I had and placed them on the table as Dwalin spoke up again.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" He asked. "We don't." I stated simply as I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the edge of the boat. "There's just a wee problem..." Balin said as he coated the coins. "We're ten short." I said as I counted the money. Balin nodded and glaced over to Gloin who was sitting with his arms crossed, looking away from everyone else.

"Come on Gloin....Give us what you have." I said with a small glare. "Don't look to me! I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen but misery and grief...." He trailed off as all the dwarfs stood and looked of in the distance. Thorin grabbed by shoulder and turned me so I could see the Lonely Mountain emerging from the fog that covered the lake. "Bless my beard. Take it! Take all of it!" Gloin said as he took out a pouch with coins in it and handed it to Balin.