Thirty Six: Peanuts

Thirty Six: Peanuts

Adrian's head rested on her stomach, his large hand cupping her hip lightly while his long thumb stroked her exposed skin. The weight of his head, along with the coolness of his fingers sent a feeling of comfort through her that was stronger even than when she was being held in his arms.

They were at their house, and Leo was just walking out of the door. Adrian was nursing a beer that Wednesday night, and it rested on the coffee table, half full. He had been at work all day, and hadn't come home until almost eight thirty, Isa had already eaten take out. Leo was trailing him like a lost puppy, claiming he needed to see the mother of what he was certain was his god child, and be sure she was fine after finding out that she was pregnant with Adrian's child.

Neglecting his drink, Adrian had turned his attention to Isaline and her belly. She had pushed him away, fought him for over twenty minutes, not even wanting him to touch her, but finally gave in when Adrian swore he just wanted to listen.

She had no clue what that meant, until he had rested his head on her belly, but she was sure that at only six weeks along, her baby wasn't doing anything interesting.

In the two weeks since Isaline had found out that she was pregnant, Adrian had given her space-well as much space as he was willing to give her-per her request. She just couldn't handle him being so close, and so overbearing, even though he had a good reason. Isa was still upset with him, though, and even though she longed to have him near, the second he was, she thought about what he had done, and her skin would crawl.

He had managed to pull a laugh and a smile from her that day though; bringing home a box that held a brand new crib, and beaming with excitement as he carried it into the house easily.

Isa just couldn't handle him-he was buying things when there was eight and a half months of her pregnancy to go! Normally, people would at least wait until they learned the gender, but Adrian had just looking so damned adorable, Isa couldn't find it in her to be mad at him at the moment, no matter what he did.

It was so easy to tell how excited he was, and even with how things came to a head, how she felt betrayed at times, she was excited too.

They were having a baby-something Isaline had always wanted. Even still, she kept her guard up in case Adrian's attitude took a turn for the worst again, which she was positive it would.

She just couldn't believe that there was a tiny, tiny person the size of a sweet pea growing inside of her. Adrian called the baby Peanut, and it stuck, because when she talked to the little baby that she felt was to be a boy, she quickly found herself referring to him as Peanut.

Peanut, Baby Peanut.

"His heart is beating so fast," Adrian murmured in awe against the fabric of her shirt, lifting it to feel her skin on his. Seconds later, his stubble was tickling her stomach, and she jumped at the sensation.

They sat there for a few more minutes, and Isa had just let out the largest yawn in the history of man when he stood up, putting his hand out for her to take, "Come on," he demanded.

"No," Isa denied after another monstrous yawn escaped her, her eyes sliding closed. Once the fatigue kicked in, Isa was a whole different person. Nothing was getting in the way of her boarding her one way trip to dreamland.

"Isa come on," Adrian stated, taking her hand in his and pulling her up and against his body, "We can put up the crib together."

Isa groaned, fighting to get out of his grasp, "Adrian, no, I'm sleepy," She whined, "We'll do that on Saturday, just let me go to bed."