sixteen

| Dedicated to Kensey - It's been so much fun chatting with you and getting to know you more on Wattpad! We have so much in common! ^.^ Thank you for being my friend. <3 |

Another Side of Damien

His cheeks were flushed, his grin wide and flashy. He looked perfectly fine, if not great. Yet, he'd called in sick.

"I thought you said you were ill!" I half-yelled.

Damien grinned in response and stepped aside to let us in. Leo walked into the house but I was still transfixed to the spot, glaring at my enemy with the most hatred I could muster up in that second.

"Well, clearly, I'm not."

"Then why'd you stay at home?" I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest and continuing to hold my glare level with his amused gaze.

"For fun," he said with a shrug. "You know, if you don't step inside, I'm going to close the door in your face even though I am trying to be the perfect gentleman."

I snorted. Right. Perfect gentleman. He sure was a dreamer. Nevertheless, I took a step inside and followed the two to the living room. The television was on, blaring some music in the background when we entered the area and sat down on the couches.

Damien turned the TV off and turned to face me with a grin.

"So...about the project..."

That was when I lost it.

"You know about the project?!" I got to my feet immediately, taking a step forward and getting ready to launch my body at Damien. He didn't so much as flinch at my reaction, smiling still from the couch opposite mine. In fact, it was probably a good thing that Leo had shot to his feet and wrapped an arm around my waist to hold me back.

"Easy Makayla," he muttered, forming an iron grip on my wrist to keep me from throwing myself at the one person I so wanted to murder in this world.

"You saw the text, and you didn't reply?!"

To say that Damien was even the least bit scared would be an outright lie. No, he was completely happy with my reaction, a look of accomplishment crossing his face as he grinned and crossed his arms triumphantly over his chest.

"That's right."

"And you didn't pick up when I called you!"

"You see my dear," he said, crossing his legs as he grinned up at me. "I missed you so very much that I wanted you to come visit me. And I knew I would have no other way to do so unless I acted like I hadn't read your text or seen your calls."

That was it. I'd had it up to the maximum limit. "I'm leaving," I muttered, dragging Leo with me as I headed toward the front door. I was surprisingly strong for him as he dug his feet into the floorboards. That, or he wasn't trying. Probably the latter.

"Give him another chance Makayla."

"No, I won't. He's insufferable," I responded.

Just when I was about to set step out of the house, Damien's voice called out cheerfully, "Happy failing!"

He had me. He had me exactly where he wanted me and he knew it. My grades mattered most and though I never showed myself to be the type who cared more about grades, Damien had somehow figured out I did. And that's why when I walked back into the living room with a sulky expression on my face, he wasn't the least bit surprised.

"Welcome back," he said, smiling.

"Leave me alone you big-headed moron," I answered curtly before plopping myself down on the couch next to Leo who seemed to be absorbing the scenario in with somewhat of an interest.