𝗩 𝗜 𝗜

𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙚 . . . 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙙 about being left behind. She'd signed up for this dangerous, once-in-a-lifetime quest, but all she'd done so far was sit on a flying dragon, and agree to wait behind. She'd done less than Leo, and she'd been training all her life for this.

Annabeth would've done something more, would've thought up a solution, would've talked the Boreads and Khione into letting them come.

She'd just have to do better.

Leo had leaned the Festus-box against the wall and excused himself to use the restaurant. Bronte had seen the way he'd looked at Khione, and honestly? He could probably do better. He of all people should know what happens to people who love the unlovable.

Bronte was left behind with Cal and too many thoughts in her head. Khione had called her Bronte Moore, like she had a family, a connection to people in the mortal world. It didn't exactly narrow it down too much, but . . . she had a family.

Moore. Did it fit her?

She shook her head, dismissing the thought. Her family was at camp. Her family was Annabeth, Chiron, and even Mr. D. It was Percy and Connor and Travis and Clarisse, and everybody else who'd watched her grow up. Her family was the dozens of half-bloods back home, who all understood what she'd gone through. Her family wasn't some random mortals who'd abandoned her at Thalia's tree before she could even walk.

Bronte sat next to Festus, reveling in his warmth. Even compacted, he radiated heat.

Cal sat across from them, keeping an eye on her movements and a hand on his sword.

They eyed each other until Bronte couldn't take it anymore. "So, Cal, what's it like being immortal? Is it weird? Do you know how to use a cell phone? Have you ever used public transportation? Have you ever been to Vegas? Have you ever drank a Monster energy drink? I think you might combust if you did. They're pretty intense. Was ancient Greece cool-"

"You smell of fire," Cal interrupted. "Recent fire. Your father is Aeolus?"

"Yes, yeah he is." She shrugged. "Why do you guys have such a big problem with him?"

"He is rude. Does not give enough time off. No dental plan."

"Really?" Bronte asked, incredulous. "So he's a bad boss and a deadbeat?"

Cal made a noise of indifference. "Gods are not always there. They love from far."

Bronte didn't agree. Her father hadn't loved her. If he'd loved her, he'd protect her or help her or train her. Not leave her to struggle.

Before she could argue with the immortal person, Leo returned. He looked like he'd washed his face and clothes, removing all dragon grease. He'd styled his curly hair into something a little more neat, and had found a box of breath mints.

"Mints?" Bronte cried, easily distracted. "Nice! Are they just peppermint? Can I have one?"

Leo tossed her the canister, before walking over to uncompress Festus. Yes! Spearmint! She popped a couple into her mouth, crunching down on them immediately.

"One time," she started, "the Stoll brothers had a Hecate kid replace all my mints with peanuts, but like covered in the Mist. I almost died."

She threw some more in her mouth. "But Chiron managed to get my epi-pen in time so I didn't."

Leo did not look reassured. "Did someone try to assassinate you? That seemed like premeditated murder."

"Nah." Bronte shrugged him off. "We were like eight at the time and they didn't know what a peanut allergy was."

Cal looked like he was having trouble following the conversation. "Pea. Nut. Allergy?"

"Yeah!" Bronte handed him the mints.

Before she could explain further, Jason and Piper descended the stairs, Zethes and Khione trailing behind them.

Leo began to brush his hair out of his face, puffing his chest out.

Uh-oh.

At the bottom step, Khione turned to Piper. "You have fooled my father, girl. But you have not fooled me. We are not done. And you, Jason Grace, I will see you as a statue in the throne room soon enough."

"Boreas is right," Jason said. "You're a spoiled kid. See you around, ice princess."

"Yeah you tell her!" Bronte exclaimed.

Khione's eyes flared pure white. For once, she seemed at a loss for words. She stormed back up the stairs—literally. Halfway up, she turned into a blizzard and disappeared.

"Be careful," Zethes warned. "She never forgets an insult."

Cal grunted in agreement. "Bad sister."

"She's the goddess of snow," Jason said. "What's she going to do, throw snowballs at us?"

Bronte winced. Khione could do a whole lot worse. She was a literally a goddess.

Leo looked devastated. "What happened up there? You made her mad? Is she mad at me too? Guys, that was my prom date!"

"She's an immortal deity who probably will never go to prom!" Bronte protested.

"We'll explain later," Piper promised, sending Bronte a glare.

What had happened up there? It seemed like they'd been hopeful before, but now Jason just seemed confused.

"Yeah," Jason agreed, looking troubled, "we'll explain later."

"Be careful, pretty girl," Zethes said. "The winds between here and Chicago are bad-tempered. Many other evil things are stirring. I am sorry you will not be staying. You would make a lovely ice statue, in which I could check my reflection."

"Thanks," Piper said. "But I'd sooner play hockey with Cal."

"Hockey?" Cal's eyes lit up.

"Joking," Piper said. "And the storm winds aren't our worst problem, are they?"

"Oh, no," Zethes agreed. "Something else. Something worse."

"Worse," Cal echoed.

"Can you tell me?" Piper gave them a smile. This time, the charm didn't work. The purple-winged Boreads shook their heads in unison. The hangar doors opened onto a freezing starry night, and Festus the dragon stomped his feet, anxious to fly.

"Ask Aeolus what is worse," Zethes said darkly. "He knows. Good luck."

He almost sounded like he cared what happened to them, even though a few minutes ago he'd wanted to make Piper into an ice sculpture.

Cal patted Leo and Bronte on the shoulders. "Don't get destroyed," he said, which was probably the longest sentence he'd ever attempted. "Next time—hockey. Pizza."

"Come on, guys." Jason stared out at the dark. "Let's go to Chicago and try not to get destroyed."