01

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in Supernatural. All rights go to their respectful owners.

-
     The air was cool and brisk against my face, yet the smell of mold lingered long enough for me to get used to it. It's not like we could afford anything better than this motel room. However, scamming credit cards does come pretty easy. It's almost a talent, actually. But that isn't something I could just tell people. I mean, I almost always lie when people ask what I do for a living. Is 'killing monsters' an appropriate answer?

     I stare at Beth. She's been aimlessly flipping through pages of a newspaper for an hour now. I told her that staring at a page long enough isn't going to make a new case appear. She ignored me and kept going, but I can tell she looked a bit reckless now. She shut the newspaper and kicked the A/C vent.

     "Stupid thing isn't working. It's so goddamn hot in here."

     I ignored her and kept scrolling through a novel I downloaded for free on my laptop. It had some Russian name as the title but I found a translated version. To be completely honest I don't understand what's happening but it's pretty much been occupying all my time. Beth threw her jacket on the bed, an attempt to be mad at the A/C for being broken. "I cannot stay in this room anymore. I'm going to go insane."

     "Then go outside." I spoke without glancing up from my laptop screen. She was silent for a moment and everything was still. It was almost peaceful. But it was the kind of peace that demanded to be broken.

     "I can't do this anymore, Sarah." she spoke silently, as if another word were to be too loud.

     I was looking up at her now. She looked upset. Her face radiated sadness. I was confused, but I didn't question her because I didn't want her to explain. "Just open the window, you'll be fine."

     She sighed. "No, it's not about the A/C." she sat down and looked down at her hands. "It started with the A.C. Then we didn't have enough money to eat for a few days. Then the cops were after us. And now, nothing has come up in weeks. We've been sitting in this room doing nothing but hoping for someone to get killed."

I pushed my eyebrows together. "Why would you say it like that?"

She sighed. "Sorry, I'm just . . . hungry." she sat back on the bed and didn't say anything else for a while. "I'm tired, Sarah. Of everything."

     I pursed my lips. "I'm sure something will turn up soon. It won't be forever."

She stood up and began to put her leather jacket back on. "I think we should stay with my mom for a few days. It would help to clear my head."

     I smiled at the thought of going back home. Her mom would be happy to see the two of us, but I couldn't. Leaving felt like losing, and I didn't like that.

     "I need to stay here."

     She sulked and crossed her arms. "This isn't about your dreams, is it? Sarah, nothing you've dreamt has happened in months. It was just one coincidence. Just come with me. You'll feel better, too."

     I looked to the side. I probably shouldn't tell her about the dream I had last night. It happened with a girl. . . dying. It's still so blurry. But Beth was right. A few weeks prior I had a dream that a werewolf was going to come flying through my doors and sweep me away. We sat on our beds with our shotguns and stared at the door for days. Nothing happened. "I'm sorry for making such a fuss about my dreams. But if something does happen, I should be here."

     She sighed, before finally gathering her things. "Fine. I'll tell Mom you say hi."

     I gave her a half-smile and watched her leave. I let out a breath. I should've told her about the dream I had last night. But I didn't. It would scare her too much; or maybe even the opposite, and she would just call me crazy.