Chapter 1: Attention Bell

"KATIE GET DOWN HERE NOW AND DO THE FREAKING DISHES!!"

I roll over in my bed and rub my eyes.

"COMING MS. DUECE!!"

Oh hi! By the way if you didn't catch it before, my name is Katie. I live in an adoption center in Minnesota. Ms. Duece is the manager.

I get up and run down the main stairs of the adoption center and run straight to the kitchen. I peek my head in, hoping Ms. Duece would be gone.

I don't see her so I walk in and close the door softly. I walk quickly, but quietly, to the sink and turn on the water, hoping not to run into the witch this early even though she called me down.

"I thought I told you to do these last night, Kate!" Ms. Duece half yelled at me. I didn't even know where she came from! All I know is she scared me!

"My name is Katie, and you did I just didn't do it because I was watching Youtube." I stated with sharpness in my tone while not looking at her but looking at the dishes I was washing.

"Well no Youtube for one day." As Ms. Duece said this, I slung my rather small body around to face her with my hands dripping with soapy water.

"What do you mean 'no Youtube for one day'?" I said air quoting with my wet hands sarcastically.

"Exactly what it sounds like. No Youtube for one day. Kate, I give you so much more slack because you are the oldest here in the center. If one of the other girls, like Elizabeth, didn't do her chores, I wouldn't let her have any food for a day. I am just simply not letting you get on Youtube."

"It's KATIE and I would rather go without food than having to miss a day of Youtube." I stress Katie so loud that Ms. Duece jumped alittle.

"Alright then I will take you up on that offer." She says, pointing her glasses in her hand at me. "No food for today, but you can watch your Youtube."

I want to smile but I don't because I know it would only make her mad and then she might take Youtube away for good. So I just nod my head and turn back to the dishes.

I hear the witch walk away and hear some more footsteps sneak in.

"Hey, Kate."

I look around and see Sadie standing next to me. Sadie is my best friend/sister/roommate here. Technically she isn't my sister, but we are that close. She is only a few months younger than me. I am 16.

"Hey, Say, how are you?" I smile and nudge her with my hip.

"I'm doing okay." She looks to the ground." I heard yours and Ms. Duece's conversation and I just want to ask if you are okay."

"Sadie, you know she doesn't bother me."

"I know but.." Sadie is interrupted by the attention bell ringing.

The attention bell is a bell that is rung when a couple had arrived, a new kid was put into the center, or roll call.

Me and Sadie drop everything we are doing and run to the bottom of the stairs where Ms. Duece does roll call. The rather old woman is standing with her clipboard in hand. She has on the SAME thing she wears everyday, her tight back pencil skirt with a white blouse tucked perfect along with black heels. And her blonde hair tucked perfectly into a low donut bun with glasses on her face.

"Alright," She starts counting heads in the room. "It seems as if everyone is here so let's get started. I have some people who are looking to adopt. They want one older girl. So Katie, Sadie, and Miranda stick behind while the others start their daily chores. The others are dismissed."