Chapter One: Coming of Age

My fingers hover over my ratty calendar, one of my few possessions. I slowly mark off another day on it. October 5th, 2015. For others, it was a normal day, passing by as boring as the previous day. But for me, it is different. Special. A once in a lifetime thing.

        Today is my eighteenth birthday. The day I am to receive my full powers.

        In the past, this day both frightened me, but it also contained a small glimmer of hope. My father is a demon, an Ossidous demon, one of the most cunning and powerful, but also one of the cruelest. And he chose me, his daughter, to become the source of his power. He sucks all the power out of my body, storing it so that one day he can use it for one of his evil plans. I have no idea what those plans may be. The only thing I know is that when that day finally comes, I want to be on the other side of the world. He's that bad.

        But, what power, you may ask. Well, let me explain.

        My name is Celena Angelus, which means Moon Angel in my language. I guess you can say my language is complicated, because, well, let's just say that it's a mixture of all languages known to man. I know it's a bit difficult to believe, but it's what all celestial and demonic beings speak. Anyways, I'm getting off track.

        I'm half-angel, and half-demon, which is called a Zyran in the supernatural world.

        Luckily, my demonic side is weaker than my angelic side, so that I'm not ruled by my evil intentions. Although, if you get on my bad side, there are no guarantees. Just saying.

        When a Zyran reaches eighteen, their full powers come into play. For example, their angel side could gain persuasion, or the demon side may gain their version of it, seduction. It all depends on the Zyran. The more powerful the Zyran, the more powers, or gifts as they're called, they have.

        However, there is one thing that all Zyrans have in common. It's perhaps my favorite part of being part of this species. What distinguishes us from other species is the fact that we all have angel wings, a demon tail, pointed ears, and fangs. We all are born with our first gift, glamour. It's what allows us to hide all these features from anyone except those who overpower us. But just because someone has more power than us doesn't mean they can see our true features. No, they actually have to concentrate their power on us, and know what to look for. The only other people who can see our essence are our fellow Zyrans.

        Our essence is what I guess you could call our true form, spirit form, soul, etcetera. In simple terms, it's the essence of our being, where our power originates from.

        Anywhore, I'm getting off task again.

        I'm still pacing frantically throughout my room when I hear muffled voice coming from the room next door.

        I tiptoe closer to the wall like the sneaky little spy I am. So what if I eavesdrop? I openly admit it, as I have nothing to be ashamed of. I can't help if I'm nosy. Besides, with my life, a simple piece of information can save my life.

        When the voice become clear as I place my ear to the wall, I recognize my father, Abbadon(it means destruction in my language, which is quite suiting for him, if you ask me), speaking. "Ready my men. Make sure they understand the consequences if they decide to abandon their master. Today is the day I will become the Demon King, and I will have no traitor ruin that fact."