Chapter 9: Pizza and Chocolate, A Girl's Best Friend

I woke up very late, and I can't help but feel like that dream last night was not just your average nightmare. So, I end up moping around in my room all day, unwilling to explore the mansion and grounds. However, you can only stare out a window for so long before you feel like you need to do something. I can't believe that I can barely handle a few hours of boredom when I used to go through weeks at the lab with nothing but my own mind to entertain myself. I guess I am spoilt now.

Resolved to find something to do, I grab a top and some pants before going to the bathroom to deal with the human stuff that I normally don't have to deal with. I thrust open my door and freeze. A human guard is standing there.

Oh, right, this must be the guard that Leo was talking about. For some reason, I am surprised it's a human which makes me curious as to how much a deterrent a human would be to a murderous vampire. After probably freaking him out with my open-mouthed staring, I ask, "Is there anything fun to do here?"

The guard looks a little shocked at my request, but he quickly clears his throat. "Yes, my lady, there is a pool, a gym, and a library."

"First of all, cut the 'my lady' crap. Please call me Lily." I pause waiting for him to agree. A gruff nod is all I get. "And, is there anything else around here that I could do? I really want to take my mind off of things."

He tips his head at my request, but after a lengthy pause, he reveals, "There is community room by the dormitories for the guards. We have a TV, games, and other things like that."

I smile enthusiastically. "Lead the way."

I found out later that his name is Josh and his family had been working for the coven for almost seven generations. I also found out that I loved movies. I had some distant memory of watching cartoons as a child, but this is so much better. Josh picketed out a movie about a couple that fall in love only to be forced apart by a disaster. Tears were streaming down my face as I went on and on about how it didn't have to end like that. They could have just shared the life raft. Josh then brought me some chocolates and said that they would make me feel better. He was right.

I was stuffing my face with chocolate, still sniffling from earlier, when two other guards stumbled into the common room. They were shoving and joking with each other when they realized that we were already in the room. I think the blond one froze in shock at seeing my tear-stained, chocolate-covered face.

"Andrew. Aiden," Josh greeted, "This is Lily."

Now, both Andrew and Aiden are staring at me.

"Hi," I squeak out.

Aiden laughs at my expression. "Hello there, princess. It looks like you are having and interesting day."

"You could say that again."

"What's with the tears, buttercup?" Andrew asks.

More liquid floods my eyes as I sniffle. "They could have both lived. Why did she do that? She said she loved him. He was too good for her."

Andrew gives Josh a confused look. "Titanic," Josh supplies.

"That explains things," Aiden calls from the kitchen area.

"I know just the thing, buttercup. A little bit of action, a little bit of mystery." Andrew stands up and puts on a new movie.

Aiden comes around the couch holding some beers and popcorn.

"Want one," he offers.

"No thanks."

"More for me," Andrew calls as Aiden plops the bowl of popcorn in my lap and sits next to me.