WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 8

Chapter 8

So I just happened to pass out when I see one of the most good-looking guys on the planet. Acceptable, right? Ehh, maybe. I didn't pass out because he was beautiful, though. I passed out because he was exactly what I saw in my mind's eye when I thought of Garrett Cross...my fake boyfriend.

I slowly woke up with a killer headache from where I hit my head. I wasn't outside anymore. I was on my aunt's couch surrounded by cousins...all poking me in the face.

"Hey, quit it. She's awake, Aunt Jo." Jordi said, pulling the kids away from me.

I gave my aunt a questioning look and she completely understood what I asked.

"Our neighbor from across the street carried you in. He said you passed out? I think you might be dehydrated. You southern Californianers are so spoiled with your weather. Anyway, Garrett brought you in and sat with you trying to wake you, but we sent him home. He waited so long. Such a nice boy...and cute too." she added with a wink. "To pay him back for taking such great care of you, we invited him and his family over for dinner so you can thank him properly."

"Oh, that is so embarrassing." I managed to choke out.

"Don't worry about it. His family is very nice and we just found out they're moving to San Clemente in the next couple weeks! So it's a win-win! He helped you, and now he already has a friend when they move! So exciting!"

"Oh, yes. Super exciting." I said, sarcasm dripping from my lips.

"Avery, snap out of it. You are going to go freshen up and then come back down and help me finish dinner. They'll be here in about 45 minutes." Aunt Jo looked serious, so I stood up after snapping out of this weird daze and walked upstairs.

I splashed some water on my face and wiped any smeared makeup from under my eyes. After that, I changed into one of my more casual outfits. I took off my sweater and put on a light-yellow, v-neck tee and tucked it into some navy, cuffed shorts with a skinny, brown belt and some white sneakers. I definitely had to look cute to make up for earlier... I ran a brush through my hair and trotted downstairs.

My aunt and I had finished dinner and set it in the oven to keep warm just as the doorbell rang. My sister was sent to answer the door and I was left to fidgeting with the cuff on my shorts. I took some deep breaths and followed my family into the living room picking Sage up along the way for some kind of distraction. 

"Marcus, Jenna, these are our nieces. Avery is 17 and Jordi is 15. They are here visiting from San Clemente! How great is that?"

We shook their hands and smiled as they prepared to introduce themselves.

"Hi there! I'm Jenna Cross. This is my husband Marcus. This is Garrett who is 18 and Stephanie who is 15, as well." she said, cheerfully.

My heart skipped a beat. Did she just say Cross? Holy crap. This cannot be happening to me. This is a dream. Not real. No way. I almost passed out again. As they began to chat, I quietly excused myself and stepped outside.

I reached the small swing set and sat down on one of them. I closed my eyes and started to pump my legs. I was slowly gaining momentum when...

"Boo!"

I felt hands push my back to make me swing higher. The shout in my ear, however, made me jump and fall right off the swing into the bushes.

I was embarrassed all over again, so I just decided to lay in the bushes. I closed my eyes and tried not to cry. I felt arms come around me and they picked me up and set me on a lawn chair. 

I looked up into pretty blue eyes. An instant blush set in on my face. 

"I am so sorry." he said with his honey voice. "I didn't think it would scare you that bad..."

"It's fine" I replied,"I'm just afraid of this habit I'm forming with you. I promise I'm not clumsy. You've just caught me every time I've fallen."

"I don't mind it, really." he smiled. "Damsels in distress are my favorite."

"Let's just start over." I said. I held out my hand for him to shake.

"Hi Garrett. My name is Avery Elise Quinn. I know everything about you. I know we just met, and this is kind of weird, but I am pretty sure I made you up..."

"What? What are you talking about?" he looked confused.

"It's a long story. Do you have time?" I asked.

 We sat on the swings and I told him the story about how I "created" him. He was unsure at first, but by the end he was laughing his head off.

 "It's pathetic isn't it?" I sighed, waiting for more laughter.

"No, actually. I think it was really clever! And freaking hilarious." he broke out into hysteric laughter as he, once again, made me tell the flower story.

We kept talking for a couple more hours and the conversation just flowed. We really got to know each other in that space of time.

 "I feel like I've known you forever." he said.

"I know. You're just like I imagined." I breathed, then gasped, "Did I just say that out loud? Oh my goodness. I have thouroughly embarrassed myself today."

He laughed, "I thought it was cute, if not slighty weird..."

"Yeah, well get used to it...What am I going to do when you move down?" I said.

"What do you mean?" he asked with a raised brow. Let me tell you, it was adorable.

 "I mean my 'boyfriend"'s name was Garrett Cross, and that's your name. You look exactly like I described you and everything. How am I going to keep them from thinking that it is you?" I went through all the options and explanations in my head. There were none.

"Well, I mean, I wouldn't mind...you know, trying this out. Avery Elise Quinn, will you go out on a date with me? I mean, you don't have to, but if it works out between us, there would be nothing to explain..." I could have sworn I saw him blush. He really was a dream come true.

"Uhh...I, I, I, I.....uhhh. I mean, well." Geez, brain! Work, dang it!!! Mouth, stop vomitting words and cooperate! Why can't my body just work together instead of against me???

 "Well, like I said, you don't have to..." he looked sad.

"YES! I would love to!" I yelled a little too loud. Now I looked way eager. He perked right up and gave me the cutest, crooked smile.

 "Great, I can't wait to see you again tomorrow. Let's start our date early tomorrow. How about 9am? Is that alright?"

 "Sure, sounds great." I smiled. The nerves were now gone and it was like talking to an old friend. He stood up and held out his hand for me to take. I grasped his hand and he helped me up. He held on for a little bit longer and kissed it, ever so gently.

 "Until tomorrow" he said and walked away. I sat back on the swing and watched his figure retreat back into the house. I couldn't help but noticed the way his jeans accentuated his sexy behind...Oh goodness, brain! Behave yourself! I just couldn't help it. I was asked on a date by the man of my dreams, literally.  

 ***A/N: Hey guys! I am ASTOUNDED by all of the feedback and fanning!!! This is so amazing! 25th on What's Hot?! Craziness!!!!!!! I love you guys! Just a reminder that I am uploading on weekends only!!! It's all I have time for. Please don't message me or comment about uploading. It's a little aggravating and I just don't have time to. I love you all and I am so happy you're liking this story. What do you guys think of Garrett? I know you don't know him too well, but you will next chapter on their date! Okay, I also think now is the time for teams. Haha. So in your comment, at the end, post team Jace or team Garrett. I'll tally them up and post the results at the next chapter. :) Oh, and in case you didn't notice, if you follow my facebook link on my profile, it will take you to the profile I made in real life. haha feel free to add me on there. :D So funny! I LOVE YOU!!! Maili<3***