Lucas' Defense

AN: suibating (as per usual). El is so much like Angela in this book, I hate writing her as a mean girl but I wanted to try something different 😭 anyways tell me if you caught the my hero academia ref :D

Will needed to raise his self esteem. And he needed to raise it fast.

He didn't wanna experience the same heartbreak over and over again, so you know what would fix it? Him knowing his worth. Or getting a better taste in men, whichever came first.

God, Max and Lucas both seemed so confident in themselves. He truly envied them; they had something he'll have to work his ass off to achieve. His mother drove him to school quietly. They both exchanged a glance, her then giving him a proud smile, "So..any projects?"

"Yeah. On The Outsiders. We have to give an analysis on which social group we think was in the right."

"Ah, I remember that. Most of my classmates were drooling over that one guy...David? Darren?"

"Dallas, probably. Mrs. Johnson showed us a 5 minute clip of him and this girl next to me literally started fanning herself."

"Yes! Dallas, he's all my friends would talk about for two days."

Joyce slowed down in front of the school. Will sighed and grabbed his backpack before she abruptly stopped him, "Hey. If anyone messes with you, tell me. I'm not afraid to teach these kids manners."

"I will mom. Bye!" He waved and started walking to school. A feeling of dread built in his stomach. His heart started pounding softly against his rib cage, screaming to be let free. He couldn't let it go even though he really wanted to.

As per usual, nobody paid him a second of their attention. He was happy about that though, people in this school tend to be annoying assholes. He made his way to his locker, putting away his backpack and taking out binders and notebooks. However, a very familiar face appeared when he closed the small door.

It was Mike, all alone. None of his friends were in sight, just him by himself. Will didn't want to talk to him, but did at the same time! He knew damn well he needed to set a boundary and not let anyone walk all over him anymore. Especially pricks like Mike.
"What?" He snapped coldly.

"Uh...how are-" Mike stammered, "I meant. What're you doing?"

"Waiting for you to end this stupid conversation. How many times do I have to say that-"

"Please just listen," Mike sighed. Will rolled his eyes and stayed quiet, a death glare never leaving his face. "I know what I did was fucked. And I swear I'll leave you alone after this, but I'm sorry. I really am."

"...."

"Nothing I say will ever make you take back the secrets you told me, but I want you to know that I regret every second of it. You didn't deserve to go through that and your childhood trauma."

Will scoffed, "I don't need your pity for my trauma. Listen, just- if you think you're so mature-"

"Uh...not really. I wasn't really mature in the first place if I agreed to do that."

"Well, at least you can admit it."

"However," Will paused, "I just can't look at you without wanting to punch something. Can you please give me space?"

Mike opened his mouth to say something. "No. Please...just give me some space," Will sighed. Mike gave up and walked away. Well, at least he could take a hint (the bare minimum). He gathered all his books, binders, folders, and papers then made his way to class. Not even a second later somebody bumped his shoulder roughly.

"Awe, did that hurt your wittle shoulder?" Jane taunted. "I wasn't wrong about anything I said, you know. You should just swan dive off-"

"Jesus Christ! You're obsessed with him!" Lucas interrupted them. He didn't even spare Will a second glance, he only gave El a hateful glare. "Can you leave him alone? The dares over and everyone feels like shit. There's no reason for you to make it worse."

"He took all my friends! Just look at you! We used to be so close and now you're worshiping him!"

"How is defending him from bullying worshiping him?! You're fucking insane!" Lucas cried.

"What? I was insane for telling him the truth?"

"No, you deserved to know how Mike really felt, right Will?" Lucas looked over at Will. He nodded in agreement. "But what he didn't deserve was being told to kill himself over something that wasn't that deep. He's so kind yet you didn't even take time to get to know him!"

"Why should I waste my time getting to know him?" Jane shot back.

"You know what, Jane? You're right," Will finally spoke up. "It would be a waste of both of our time, I shouldn't try to please a bitch like you."

El looked like she was going to strangle him. Lucas let out a snort of laughter watching her storm away. Will slammed his locker shut and took a deep breath. That entire interaction was mentally draining but at least he didn't have to face it alone. "Hey, thanks man. You didn't have to come to my defense," Will mumbled to Lucas.

"It's really no problem. She shouldn't be going around acting so..."

"Entitled? Bratty?"

"Exactly what I was gonna say. Anyways, uh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have encouraged Mike to ask you out and I sure as hell shouldn't have encouraged him to keep the lie going for that long."

Will was taken back. Maybe Mikes friends weren't so b- no. They weren't the ones that broke his heart like that. They even came to his defense after everything that happened at lunch that one day. He could forgive them now and would (probably) be fine.

"Thank you for your apology."