Chapter 4

——Aaron

"I still don't understand why you can't come with us."

"I already told you. I have stuff to do, and my dad will be home for the weekend." My morning at school with Nicole always had to be this way—her forcing me into her weekend plans which she obviously had arranged in advance without me. Of course, I wanted to spend time with her; she was my girlfriend in the first place but not this weekend. Or, any weekend when my dad is at home.

"But everyone's going. This is the only time Trisha's parents leave town. We will go." It sounded more like an order coming from her plump mouth. I wanted to shut her up with a kiss. I closed my locker and looked around. I was sure people wouldn't mind. And so, I kissed her.

Nicole returned the kiss immediately before gently pushing me away. I looked around. I was right. People didn't care. Maybe they were used to it. But then again, why would someone object? Nicole and I were both good to look at. I could only sense their envy.

She smiled and lightly punched my chest. "Bad boy. So, you're going?"

"No." I shook my head. "I can't, Nicole. Look, I want to, okay? But I can't."

She pushed a little harder this time. "Where there's a will, there's always a way, Aaron. Think of something." Her voice came a little louder that people started to steal a glance at us. I loved attention, but not the kind of attention Nicole was drawing towards us.

"Nicole, you know my dad. You have seen him talk to me. You have seen him upset in the past. You should have a clearer understanding by now how difficult it is to deal with him."

Arthur James Lanter was the type to say what was on his mind anytime, anywhere, and to whomever.

I eyed some of the students, giving them a look to mind their own business.

"He's your dad. I'm sure there's a way to convince him," Nicole argued. She was wrong. There was no way. My dad was a man of purpose, and as his son, I was compelled to be like him; at least when he's around and looking. Everything I would do must have a purpose. How I would spend my free time should have to have a purpose.

"Shouldn't you have a license to be that ugly?" My mind must have drifted away for a moment because when I looked back at Nicole, her eyes were already shooting daggers at Sam who just happened to pass by.

Sam stood cluelessly. "Huh? Excuse me?" Her dark hair was looking unruly, as usual. She had tied her hair, but visible strands were sticking out to different directions. Did she even comb her hair before tying it?

Nicole faked a smile. "You find our lives entertaining, don't you?"

Sam rolled her eyes and returned the fake smile. "I'd rather let the Annoying Orange entertain me."

"Whatever, dork. Just because you forced your disgusting tongue down my boyfriend's throat doesn't give you passage to our world. It only makes you a slut."

Nicole fired at Sam without any hesitation. I knew her too well. She was the kind who would always want to have the final stinging words.

"I don't want to be a part of your pathetic world of superficial people. And I'll be careful if I were you, Nicole. This slut can break every bone in your body. All 206 of it," Sam retorted. Did she mean that? Maybe she was bluffing. But her bluff only pushed Nicole's buttons.

"I'd like to see you try." Nicole haughtily folded her arms and raised her eyebrow at Sam who showed no sign of backing down either.

"I don't have to try because I know I can. But I won't waste my time and energy on you because, in my world, you don't matter. And I have better things to do like go to class and excel at something that is more significant." Sam turned to me and said, "Here's your assignment." She walked out before Nicole could come up with a nastier comeback.