Chapter Five

"Your cancer has spread... at this point we can't do anything. Right now, it's in the terminal stage. I'm very sorry." I couldn't breathe, I felt like my mind had left me, my ears were telling me Anney was going to die and my mind was trying to rationalize everything that was happening. That this was some sick joke, or that they had the wrong results and Anney never even had cancer. But this was a lie, the truth was being laid out in front of me and all I could do was shut down.

I heard Arica weeping loudly, crying things like; "no, not my baby!' and "how can this be happening?" 

The doctor left, the two nurses stayed and patted Arica on the back trying to calm her down, but eventually they left, leaving her boys to comfort her.

"Cyler?" Anney croaked, her voice splintering into pieces like she had something slick and sharp lodged in the back of her throat. I busted out of my mind and looked over at Anney, I had lost feeling in my face so my complexion probably looked similar to hers. Like death.

"Ye-ah Anney?" I cleared my throat pushing back the tears, if I lost it Anney would too. I had to stay strong, I had to!  She looked like she was fighting with herself, it was a loosing battle whatever it was because the next second she hurled herself into my arms and started to shake. I just held her, it was all I could do.

And it made me sick.

I was going to do something, I would find a cure to this deadly disease.

***************************************************************************

They gave her two months to live, if she made it that long. 

I knew it was dumb to listen to a doctor about when you were supposedly gonna die but it was hard when you logically saw that two months might be all she would get.

Anney.

My Anney was going to die in two months, give or take a few weeks.

My life was over.

I was desperate for answers, I tried everything.

The Internet was no help, people were no help, hell doctors couldn't cure her why did I think I could?

It was March third when I went back to school to gather some things, I knew and the teachers knew I wouldn't be attending till Anney was better, when I overhead some Gothic Freaks by my locker talking.

"It would still be cool!" The one with the chunk of metal hanging out of her bottom lip said, dressed and covered in all black she looked like a bad Halloween Costume. Usually I didn't judge but today (and the past couple days) I'd made some alters to my "usual" behavior.

"How? Some blood-sucking monster with red glowing eyes, how is that hot?" Said the girl that had more colors in her hair then the friggin rainbow, she had black smeared around her eyes. Weird. At first I thought they were talking about some rave or maybe even perhaps a party. But how so wrong I was, I started to drop things into my backpack from my locker. I didn't realize my limbs had slowed down, listening to their conversations.

My whole body seemed to be yelling; stop! Wait! Listen! Like my life was dependent on it, I tried to shake the feeling but it pressed on. Finally I just stopped and stared into my locker like it would tell me the answers.

"Better than some fury freak of nature! That Sh*t is just wrong." Metal face said crossing her extremely pale arms over her small frame. Why was it that all goths (or whatever they were) were super skinny?

"Whatever, anyways Lestat is full of crap, he's never seen a Vampyr in his horrid, miserable life!" Rainbow splat at Metal face, who seemed full of rage.

"How dare you! You don't believe me, fine, but not believing Lestat is low!" Wow, I didn't know goths were so religious about they're Vampyr's. I began to shut my locker when I heard what my body had been waiting to hear;

"Oh yeah it's not like he's God, he can't cure people!" The word "cure" caught my attention in more ways than one, I stayed put; my hand hovering over my locker door.

"Whatever you know how last year Emerald was in the hospital, Mina I saw her; she was dying her heart was dangerous low and then... Lestat swoops in and takes her away. You know where he took her? To his Vampyr friend, next month Emerald shows up; in perfect health! Explain that one Mina." Metal face (who I still didn't know her name) looked satisfied enough to fill the hallway, which I realized was empty besides the three of us.

"Uh huh like I'll believe that!" Mina (from Dracula?) spat back, even though I could hear trace of hesitation in her voice.

This is ridiculous, Vampyr's don't exist and they don't go around healing random people. 

"Then come tonight, wear your best blacks and you'll witness something that'll give you Daymares!" The girl said it so seriously it stopped the laugh in my throat, she was dead serious. I could tell, I looked over my shoulder at them and saw her light brown eyes full of mystery but there was something in them that forced me to believe her.

"FIne, alright but-

"But what? Scared?" Metal face raised her eyebrows at Mina like she was challenging her, I hadn't ever paid much attention to the Goths to know how they acted around each other so I didn't know if I was about to break up a fight or witness a kiss. I shivered nonetheless.

"No, why would I be scared? It's not real remember." Mina dragged each word out, like she was going off from a script, being all dramatic and such.

"You know where's it's at right? Bellevue Estate, give the password; Max-1922." I had no clue what that meant but there was no way I was forgetting it. In fact I grabbed a piece of paper and half of a crayon (no clue where it came from) and wrote it down, and the address.

"What does that mean?" Mina asked, I had the same question.

"The first Vampyr movie came out, staring Max- last name I can't pronounce, but whatever, anyways; it starts at mid-night; don't be early." Metal face turned on her steal toe boot and was gone like a black  curtain.

"Ugh what a- hey you!" I pretended to be so engrossed with the picture of Anney and me sitting by a huge bonfire when Mina called me out. Seconds later she tapped me on the shoulder, I turned to face her purple-contacted eyes.

"Uh yeah?" I asked giving her a confused look, she seemed to buy it.

"Oh um... I'm sorry about Annelise, your girlfriend. I uh kinda knew her, we've had some classes together." She sounded sympathetic enough but one word twisted in my gut, I took the picture and shoved it in my pocket, slammed the locker and went to turn away;

"Know." I started to walk away, she grabbed my forearm I gave her a look of disgust; she let go.

"What do you mean; "know."

"You know her, she isn't dead yet!" I screamed shaking the pictures on the walls, teachers peaked out their doors but by that time I was out the door, reeving my engine and flying to the hospital where Anney was a primary visitor.