Chapter 12

The next few weeks passed calmly with no more traps discovered and the nightly patrols revealing nothing out of the ordinary. Alys' leg continued to heal quickly and after a week Derek agreed to take her back on their morning runs, but he stuck to well defined trails. They'd fallen into a routine where Derek often came back when Alys broke for lunch, and when he didn't they'd meet up in the evening. She'd been over to Derek's loft with the pack a few times and she was getting to know everyone better. Even Malia had warmed up, and Derek had shared how Peter was her biological father, but until recently had no idea she'd existed. For Alys it went a long way to explaining the spiky relationship between the two of them.

There wasn't a member of the pack who didn't warm to Alys and Derek's feelings for her were obvious to them all. The elephant in the room was how she was going to find out about their supernatural side. Melissa, Noah and Chris wanted to suggest telling her as a group but no-one had brought it up with Derek yet. In truth none of them really felt it needed to be rushed.

Alys had mentioned the strange connection she felt to Derek one night when Derek had pulled her close on the couch. He looked puzzled so she shook her head and changed the subject. In truth he took it as metaphorical rather than literal. Whatever it was the connection continued to build and she was aware of it all the time now.

The heat of the summer was just starting to break a little and the nights were sometimes cool. Alys was just closing her laptop Friday night before bed. She hadn't seen Derek since last night because it was her day in the office in the city and he was meeting Peter and Scott for training. She'd had the evening to herself, and had caught up with some admin. Just as she closed the lid she froze. She suddenly knew very clearly that two men were coming to take her. Terrified she also knew they would come into the house very soon and in panic she ran into the bathroom, locked the door and hid in a recess between the tub and the toilet. To her horror she realised she'd left her cell phone in the kitchen and there would be no time to run and get it. They were coming.

It was completely involuntary but Alys reached for the connection she had become so aware of and pushing her mind down it she shouted out mentally to Derek. Shrinking back she tried to control her breathing and listened intently.

Derek was returning to the loft when he heard her. It was as clear as if Alys was standing behind him "Derek please help me, two guys are going to break in and take me. I'm trapped in the bathroom and I'm scared. I don't have my phone. Please come quick". Derek stopped dead and didn't hesitate. He could hear the fear and panic in her voice. He never doubted this was actually happening. He ran to the car and sped off, dialling Peter as he went. Peter answered wondering what he'd want since he'd only been gone minutes. "Peter, Alys is in trouble. Two guys are breaking in, she's locked herself in the bathroom - get over there I may need help, there could be more than she thinks. I'm calling the Sheriff now". He didn't wait for an answer, disconnecting and calling the Sheriff with the same information. Noah responded "I'll meet you there with back up" and Derek concentrated on the closing the short distance to Alys' house.

Alys sat in the dark recess listening. All she could hear was the sound of her own heart pounding. As the minutes passed she knew the danger was getting closer. Eventually she heard it, a scraping noise somewhere on the far side of the house. She was utterly terrified as she heard a crash, then there were cars and more crashing, guttural sounds like growls. She knew she was shaking but couldn't stop as she tried to sink back further.

As soon as Derek swung into the drive he saw one of them. He didn't even pause to close the car door but ran, shifting as he went and lurching as what he rapidly realised was another werewolf who broke one of the windows to gain access. He grabbed the back of his shirt and threw him from the position he'd got to on the window ledge. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Peter arrive, breaking the front door lock to gain access. He realised Peter had seen there was someone inside and he bolted after him. Peter was fighting another stocky werewolf in the hallway and Derek slashed him from behind. Leaving Peter with his claws to the man's throat, dragging him out of the house. Derek lurched past them to the bathroom as the Sheriff entered, gun cocked. He ripped the door open, sending the flimsy lock flying. He was still in Beta form and he saw Alys cowering in the small space. She instantly tried to reach him but was shaking so intently her legs were buckling. He moved forward and caught her lifting her easily and carrying her out to the lounge opposite.

Stillinski followed him into the bathroom, taking in Derek's Beta form and the fact Alys was shaking so hard she could have been having seizure. "Shit" he commented "I'll go and make her some tea, Peter and Parrish are dealing with whoever the hell those guys were". Alys looked up at Derek's beta face and he turned away. She took her shaking hand and pulled him back to face her. She managed to get enough energy to whisper "I love all of you Derek, this is you too". He relaxed and holding her close and she buried her face in his neck he let himself shift back. The Sheriff returned carrying a mug followed by a perplexed Peter. Alys was still trembling far too much to hold a cup of hot liquid and Peter stepped forward "pass her to me Derek, you two both need to see what's outside".
Derek stood and handed the trembling figure gently to his uncle "I'll only be a minute Alys, Peter will keep you safe".

The others left the room and Peter reached for the throw he could see hanging over the back of the sofa as he could see goosebumps over Alys' bare arms. He sat down with her in his lap and stroked her hair noticing her heart was starting to slow and the trembling was less intense. Peter had little physical contact with anyone since the fire, and he couldn't help but enjoy soothing the girl in her arms. Derek and the Sheriff returned and Peter lifted Alys to sit her on the couch still wrapped in the throw. Stillinski grabbed the mug and pressed it into her hands now she was calmer. He spoke quietly and kindly "hey, drink this, it'll help you calm down. They're gone, no-one is going to hurt you now".
Derek sat next to her lifting her legs into his lap. "so are you going to take her back to your place?" Derek shook his head "no, I'll stay here. There's no danger now and we can sort the damage in the morning."

"I'll send someone over in the morning to fix the doors and windows" offered the Sheriff. Derek nodded "thanks." Peter followed him out and Derek and Alys were alone.

Derek looked up to catch her eyes "you must have so many questions Alys" he said almost sadly. She looked up at him and just said "You heard me asking for help didn't you? That's why you came?"

"I heard you as clearly as if you were standing next to me". Alys let out a breath she had been holding "can we talk in the morning? I just want you to take me to bed and hold me tonight".