54

(DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. It's important to remember this is all totally fabricated, embellished, and exaggerated for entertainment purposes.)

**********

In the darkness before the dawn

Leave a light, a light on

Coldplay | Midnight

He stretched with a balletic grace in the morning, sitting on the edge of the bed in nothing but a towel, unaware that I was awake. That I'd stolen these moments to study him unobserved. Admiring the curves and freckles of his back. His abundant beauty marks like so many drips of scattered ink. His leftover tan lines from summer. His curls dancing along the tops of his shoulders, tempting me to rise and run my fingers through their feathery coils. It was super early. We'd set an alarm to wake us at sunrise, ensuring we'd be up before my parents could stumble on us together, and because we needed to get back on the road if we wanted to enjoy our first day at the rented house up north. 

After separate showers and many hugs and kisses goodbye, we headed northwest out of Bradford up into Keighley and beyond. It would only take a couple of hours to reach our destination, but because I'd barely slept the night before, I dozed off halfway there. To my shock, jaw-dropping splendor awaited me when I opened my eyes. Haz had tickled me awake so I wouldn't miss the scenic parts of the final stretch in, and if it weren't for the fact that mere hours had passed, I might've thought we were in a different world. At that moment I was assured: I would remember every detail of this place for the rest of my life.

Turning down Peter Gabriel's "Come Talk To Me" as if I could hear what I was seeing, I craned my head out of the window like an anxious dog

Turning down Peter Gabriel's "Come Talk To Me" as if I could hear what I was seeing, I craned my head out of the window like an anxious dog. Lush mountains surrounded us. An ocean of green that whirled and swelled without end. Our borrowed Land Rover was but a tiny flitting speck lost among rolling hills that stretched on as far as the eye could see, beneath an endless blue sky. Sheep and cows and horses were scattered everywhere, nosing about, but there wasn't a single person in sight. They all seemed free to roam at their leisure, untouched by human interference.

 They all seemed free to roam at their leisure, untouched by human interference