²⁴ : voices

"today is the day we die."

"stop being dramatic jun," woozi said, hitting the boy on the shoulder a little too harshly, making jun stumble slightly but nevertheless catch himself before he fell. "it's just some sports."

after the speeches, the boys had made their way over to the field where other classes had gathered and were getting ready for the competition.

on the makeshift podium at the very centre of the field stood dino and for the first time, his classmates saw him in action as one of the three heads of council, taking charge of the situation and arranging everyone accordingly, speaking through a megaphone and letting everyone hear his voice.

hoshi let out a whistle while vernon yelled dino's name, the council member turning to look at his classmates and waving at them. "who would've thought dino could look so cool?" joshua asked, trying to gain the attention of seokmin who simply ignored his voice much to joshua's dismay.

"alright let's begin then! i'm dino, the council head of the neutrals!" a roar of cheers came from all the different classes, minghao clapping slightly and giving his roommate a thumbs up. "thanks for the warm response! but anyways, i'm the one in charge of this station so if there are any injuries or foul play, call me over immediately and if i'm not available, the rest of the council members are around..."

wonwoo found himself feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people that surrounded them and along with the noise that came with the crowd, he felt an itching desire to run away and hide, dino's instructions fading into the background.

he pulled on his jacket sleeves, shoving his hands deep into his pockets to try and preoccupy his mind with something, anything, else than the fact that there were 14 classes on the field in that moment and that meant that there were roughly 280 people (give or take).

run and hide.

his mind kept taunting him, telling him to run away and calling him a coward who was too afraid of everything. he forced himself to look forward and tried to catch some words dino was saying during the briefing but all he could hear was the noise in his head, scratching and gnawing at his very insides and waiting for him to snap.

just hide — it's the only thing you're good for.

unable to take it anymore, he found himself slowly backing away and once he felt that no one would've noticed him, he ran straight into the building, avoiding any pathways that had more than two people and locking himself in his room.

shrouded in darkness, all he could do was sit down and catch his breath.

"hey wonu? are you okay? i saw you run off so i wanted to follow you and check on you."

his voice was familiar, a soothing melody that made wonwoo feel as though it could ward the monsters and villains away even for just a second.

but you're the villain.

the voices whispered, a chill running down his spine as he bit his lip to prevent a sound from escaping and placing his trembling hands over his ears.

do you expect him to protect you against yourself?

"do you want me to accompany you?" mingyu asked but wonwoo couldn't answer. instead, he placed a hand on the door, flinching at how loud everything became when he let go of an ear. somehow, he knew that mingyu would wait regardless and in that fact alone, it offered him a small relief. "i'll stay here okay? and don't worry about the others — i'll take care of it."

wonwoo forced out a little hum which he prayed mingyu heard as he leaned against the door, waiting for the voices to go silent.

–––