Chapter 48 - Award Ceremony

Chapter 48 – Award Ceremony

The clip of “Chaos Street” actually had the strange effect of raising the buzz regarding Bai Lang’s Gold Emperor award nomination.

It was possibly because previously Bai Lang didn’t been in many productions. Other than “Gold” which he had been nominated for, there was only “Partners” which people could use to judge him with. However when he was filming “Partners” Bai Lang was really a newcomer. His acting experience was shallow and although towards the end it improved greatly, however this kind of simple production about city living didn’t really have many scenes which could display Bai Lang’s scenes, the storyline was what drew people in rather than any particular performance. So there were many people who felt like Bai Lang being nominated this time was just as a lucky bystander.

However when “Chaos Street’s” clip was released, this completely different Bai Lang made people’s eyes light up.

From his expressions to his every small movements the Bai Lang in the clip seemed to have completely changed his bones. From him exuded the feeling of someone in the lowest class of society and it felt natural as though he was born that way. Even his way of walking around in flip-flops looked totally natural, however at the same time there was a still a cool and handsome feeling. It didn’t make people feel repulsion. It was like within a group of delinquent youths, there would always be a small leader with a charisma which would always make the people around him be drawn to him and want to follow him.

Also in the clip there was a segment where Bai Lang cursed fluently as he fled. His accent was 90% similar to the actual accent of a particular place. It changed the feeling of originally coarse words to carry a special feeling associated with a place and culture, so it became a lot easier on the ears and also brought the character to life even more. His acting was apparent even in the way he pronounced his words. This type of high-level attention to detail and skill really left a deep impression in people’s hearts.

But actually this regarding this accent, Bai Lang could be said to be using some of the experience he gained in his past life.

In his last life, this drama had done quite well. The characters and script were both very satisfactory. There were many exciting plotlines which entertained the audience greatly. However the one thing that was criticized by people as not being quite up to par was the actor who played Luo Zai, which in his past life was called Cheng Yuan. He was also a very handsome young man. His features were very delicate and feminine, and it fulfilled the requirements of Luo Zai’s image. However every time he opened his mouth to talk or swear in his extremely standardized accent, he would be criticized by sharp-tongued netiens as being too cultured and not realistic.

Some of these were due to the drama’s limitations. After all this drama still marketed itself to families so it couldn’t have frequent extreme lines. However there were still many scenes where the character Luo Zai still needed to rely on his lines in order to express himself. So the scriptwriter was stuck in the awkward position of trying to produce speech that wasn’t too extreme nor too moderate. 

When Bai Lang received the script, he paid especial attention to the problem of his character’s lines and very early on had a discussion with the scriptwriter.

The advice that Bai Lang gave was that he could express himself using a local accent. He could use special local phrases and words to replace some of the most ear-piercing swear words and curses. This way even if the audience heard it often they wouldn’t get irritated by it. And in order to demonstrate the effect, Bai Lang spoke a string of sentences using a local accent and words. 

When he finished talking, the scriptwriter’s eyes lit up. He immediately went to find a few consultants from the same area and rewrote the script, changing almost all of Luo Zai’s lines. Even the people who Luo Zai associated with had their lines and characters edited. As for how Bai Lang who had grown up in this small T City, managed to learn this kind of very accurate local accent, Bai Lang of course would tell people it was because he had already worked hard for 10 more years than other people.