Chapter 32

The day had finally come. It was time for Marinette to go back to school. Saying that she dreaded it would be an understatement, she loathed it. 

Despised it.

She couldn't transfer, and she couldn't just skip because of the truancy officers that had taken an interest in her school.

She would go.

Her phone buzzed several times, but she managed to tune out the noise for a few more minutes.

She made her way to the wooden dresser in the other room.

Chloe: You ready?

Chloe: Marinette istg if you slept in-

Chloe: I'm outside

Sure enough, there she was.  

"I didn't even sleep in." Marinette huffed in annoyance.

Chloe rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, it's time. You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." 

The two walked out of the hotel and into the black limousine.  The drive to school was about 5 minutes, so in no time they were in front of the large building. 

Marinette's heart sunk as she snuck a glance through the window. Alya and Lila were talking in hushed whispers, Lila eyeing the area around them for any unwelcome eavesdroppers.

It was time to go.

Chloe and Marinette stepped out of the limo, and made their way to the steps. Marinette's stomach lurched seeing Alya and Lila together. 

Tikki tapped her tiny hand against Marinette's leg comfortingly, the message was clear; they were in this together.

"You will never believe what Chat Noir told me! Girl, I have the biggest scoop for you!" Alya exclaimed excitedly. After all, it wasn't everyday you hear a superhero publicly diss someone, a civilian no less.

The warning bell rung, and Marinette and Chloe headed to class, each just as nervous as the other. The whole class seemed confused when Chloe went and sat at the back with Marinette.

Tense whispers fluttered across the room, and anxious glances were exchanged. 

CHloe, not missing the look of anger on Adrien's face, glared right at him. 

That action seemed to catch him off guard. He stared at her puzzled, but turned to Mme. Bustier, who was clearly prepping to start today's lesson.

The door swung open once more, and Alya and Lila reappeared chatting incessantly. 

"I can't believe he aid that about her!"

"Me too!"

The rest of the glass, eager to hear of the latest development, crowded in on both of them.

The fashion designer took a deep breath. It was time to practice that technique. She could almost hear Tikki's voice in the back of her mind urging her not to, but she ignored it. She wouldn't be hurt. Not today.

Chloe eyed the crowd warily, knowing that anything Lila had to say would be no good.

A whisper was barely heard between Alya and Mylene, Ivan and Kim, Max and Nathaniel, Rose and Sabrina, and at last Juleka.

They all, in turn, glared at Marinette with a fierceness she had ever seend before. The emotional side of her wanted to start crying. But she couldn't. Paris could barely handle one akumatization when she was five minutes late to the crime scene, much less an akumatized Ladybug. That seemed to calm her.