29. Be Careful, Don't Die

Last chapter before the finale! Who's excited!

I am a bit! Excited to start book 2, I have a few interesting ideas planned.

This chapter is dedicated to @SweaterWeather24 for their Fanfiction The Walls ➡️ Newt (co-written with Lizcherry0627) .

--------------------

How? When? What the hell is going one?

Who does she think she is.
And why is he not stopping her?

I walk out from behind the tree, anger pulsing through me like a raging fire. I hold back my tears, so that he doesn't see me as someone who will cry over a guy.

I probably will, but not in front of them.

I keep walking until I'm right in front of them, and that's when they decide to pull away from each other.
Newt's face contorts into shock when he sees me, "Lori?" He falters. "I promise you, this isn't what it-"

"Don't you even dare" I interrupt. "I want you to leave me alone."
I take a deep breath and turn towards the girl sitting beside him, "And you."

My veins pulse with hatred for her, that I barely know what I'm doing before it happens. I raise my hand, and slap her straight across her smug face, hopefully leaving a mark.
"That, is for kissing my boyfriend." But suddenly, I pull back, and look pointedly at Newt. "Sorry, ex-boyfriend."

I turn on my heel and sashay away, trying to leave whilst keeping at least some of my dignity intact.
This week has turned to shit. We're trapped in a Maze, going to be eaten by Grievers, I'm a Variable, apparently Teresa and Thomas created my personality, and now the boy I loved has betrayed me. God, why did this have to happen to me?

As soon as I'm out of the Deadheads, I run, so that no one can follow me.
I find myself crouched in the corner of the Slammer, where no one is currently being held. I wrap my arms around my knees, and just cry.

Why would he do this to me? I thought he cared for me, just as much as I care for him. I guess not. I wish that I could be back in my old life, or at least no what it was like. I wish I knew who I was before Thomas and Teresa basically hacked my personality.

I run my hand through my hair, and just let everything go. My life has fallen apart, and the only thing that could possibly go right, is our conceivable plan of escape.

I wipe my eyes and lay down, curling into a protective sort of ball.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Lori?" Someone's voice breaks through the darkness which is my sleep. When did I fall asleep? The person's voice is so distorted, I'm unable to tell who's speaking. Therefore, I answer with my go-to phrase.

"Whoever you are, go away."

I hear their footsteps grow quiet. Good, they get what go away means.

But then, after a few minutes, I catch another voice calling my name.
"Lori, get your shank ass out here, and stop whining. Just cause that klunk head Thomas said that he changed your brain or whatever, doesn't mean you have to go and cry. He screwed with all of us."

"Minho, I brought you over here to help. And I don't think that's what's wrong shuck face." I hear another voice hiss.

I sit up and look towards the door of the Slammer, to since Minho and Chuck crouching in the doorway.
"What else could she be crying 'bout, Chuck?" His eyes go wide in shock as he looks towards me, "Is it your" he loses eye contact, "Time of the month?"