Project GODS: Promise

Author's Note: Sorry about not uploading sooner, the stupid browser crashed and deleted everything. I hope you all like it! Please comment, vote, all that good stuff! This part might not be incredibly interesting but the next will be, pinky promise! Love to you all! ~Zanintia

__________________

      The current's cold fingers still pulled, and my eyes closed. The call of death was near, and I was ready and willing to answer to it.

       The excruciating pain in my bones left, and I couldn't feel anything anymore.

     I remember hearing once that when you die you see a light, a tiny, brillinant light at the end of a long tunnel.

      I saw this light.

      It was magnetic in a mysterious way, beckoning in its simplicity. I wanted to explore it more than anything, but something strange was holding me back....

       Beckoning, beautiful, this light was all I had ever wanted for one brief moment.

       Before I could push my way to it, a sharp jerk snapped me out of my strange reverie.

       The pain was back, larger than life, and terrifyingly real. Behind my eyelids I saw the blueish hue of seawater, and I began to choke.

        Then the blue was gone, replaced by the black again.

         It felt like I fought the blackness for hours, refusing to let the dark blanket suffocate me. Despite my greatest efforts, it held with an iron grip.

          A sharp pain in my cheek shoved the darkness away, and red sunglight leaked through my eyelids.

          Coughing, I struggled to sit up, failing and instead turning my head to the side to vomit up seawater. Again and again I regurgitated, a seemingly endless amount of the ocean clogging my lungs.

          When I finished retching, I looked up into the face of the one who had slapped me.

           Peter Scott looked on worridly, wringing his hands and biting his lip. He was soaked to the skin, his normally well-kept hair a mess and glasses absent. Sand covered both of us, and we were only a few feet from the hungry shoreline.

           "Peter?" I said, my voice rusty and weak.

           "Don't talk, Artemis!" He said, pushing my hair off my face. "You're really hurt. I don't know how to treat you, I'm no doctor....I'm sorry!"

           "It's fine," I coughed weakly, pain racing through my lungs. "When can we leave?" 

           "....Artemis....I can't carry you. I'm too tired. And you're obviously hurt badly. Besides, you're a lot heavier than you look." For that brief moment, the sarcasm that was normally present in his everyday speech reappearing.

           I laughed lightly, and attempted again to rise. I failed miserably and only brought more pain upon myself. "I guess we'll be here for a while."

           "I guess so." 

           For hours we waited, until nightfall. We were exposed horribly, and every twitter of a bird made me jump. Peter tried his best to distract me and keep watch, but nothing really seemed to work.

            "How'd you know I fell?" I asked at one point.

            "I.....I know I'm not supposed to leave the treehouse, but I was all alone and I started to get worried. So I wandered to the beach, it's not that far from the hut, only a couple of miles-"