Chapter one: Adoption

AN: This is my first story so if I make any mistakes don't judge too much, besides that enjoy~

Arik's pov:

There I was, scared, afraid, injured and on top of that I was being chased. They were right on my tail. The next thing I knew about seven dogs had pounced on me and pinned me down.

The dogs sunk their teeth into my skin, leaving deep ugly marks that would definitely take time to heal. They barked and growled at me as they bit me. It was almost as if they had mistaken me for a chew toy. A sudden shock went through my ear, causing me to yelp in pain. One of the bigger dogs had taken a nice bite out of my ear.

I struggled to free myself from the dogs teeth, but I was unsuccessful. After what felt like five to fifteen minutes my body couldn't take anymore, I'd become lightheaded, my body felt heavier (despite the fact the dogs were standing on my body.) I knew I was close to blacking out, moments before I did I heard the dogs being called off. Sadly I knew this was only because I was still able to be used for other hunts. I wasn't suppose to die just yet, it simply wasn't my turn.

You see, the humans like to play this game called "Catch the fox," I on the other hand call it "Run if I want to live" The whole point of this game is to send out a fox and see how far it can run before the hunters dogs catch up to it. It's not just any fox these hunters choose, not at all, the fox chosen must be a neko fox. That's me. What a cruel game, huh? Sending a fox running for it's life only to capture it and do it again the next day.

I didn't have enough strength to move from the spot the dogs had pinned me so I laid limp in the grass. The hunter that called off the dogs walked over and roughly picked me up. After that he put he in a cage, sat the cage in the back of what the humans called "trucks" and began driving. That's when I blacked out fully. 

When I woke up I was still in a cage but it was bigger and I was surrounded by others of my kind. We were actually raised here, our parents were forced to mate together and when they had children they were either sold, forced to mate again, or killed. They would be considered lucky if they were killed, we all know that when they're sold they are just forced to play this damn game again, only in a different area.

"Psst! Arik!" I heard my name being whispered to me from the fox in the cage next to mine. That fox was actually my closest friend here, his name is Derek. There is something odd about Derek though, he isn't a neko fox. During mating the hunters had caught a neko of a different breed and forced them to mate with a fox. The outcome was Derek. No one is quite sure what Derek's breed is, we only know he's mixed with fox. To the hunters its unimportant.

"Earth to Arik!" I hears Derek whisper, only this time it was more aggressive to catch my attention."Your ear! You're missing part of it." He told me while pointing to my ear. Confused I went to rub the ear he was talking about, and he was right. Not only did the dog from before bite my ear, but he also ripped it off. I removed my hand from my ear and looked back at Derek who had a rather worried look on his face. That look of worry then turned to a look of anger. "I swear as soon as I get out of this cage I'm gonna-" I cut him off there. I knew if he finished his sentence nothing good would come out of it.

"Derek it's fine, it doesn't hurt much." I told him as I lied through my teeth. "Save your energy for when you're being hunted." I mumbled to him. Truth is I'm just as pissed off about my ear as Derek, if not even more.

I was exhausted and I simply wanted to sleep. Once I got Derek calmed down I curled myself up and began falling asleep. Just as I was dozing off my cage door opened. Out of natural reflex I jumped and puffed my tail out, I looked at the human who was responsible for disrupting my slumber. I was a bit scared, they were suppose to give me time to heal! The human grabbed me and pulled me from my cage. I looked over to Derek only to see a human was doing the same thing to him. I then saw the same thing was happening to everyone in my row, not just my row but the rows in front of mine as well. The human who had grabbed me roughly held me by the back of my neck. I was about to claw him when I saw another fox do what I was just about to. The lucky fox began running but there was a sudden loud noise and they fell to the ground, they didn't move. They were lifeless. That was enough to send fear through the rest of us. None of us fought back as we were taken away.

I was taken to a small white room with one other person. The other person was a male in a long white coat, he had shirt brown hair, and he smelled smokey. The human who brought me into the room began stripping me, of course I fought back but because I was wore out my struggle was useless. All human had to do was pin me down with his hands.

"Hold still, it'll only hurt a little" I heard the man in the white coat say after I was stripped of my clothing. Seconds after being told about to sit still about twelve needles were injected into me. Two were in my left arm, two in my right, two in my left leg, two in my right leg, one in each of my ears and the last two were injected into my tail  I don't know what they injected into me but it sure as hell didn't feel good.

Once they were finished with the needles I was feeling drowsy. One of the humans picked me yo and placed me into a small white tub. The water was warm, this treatment was given only to newborn and those with special treatment. I guess I relaxed without noticing because I heard the human in the white coat chuckle. Why was he still here?! I quickly curled myself up, my tail rapped around my body and my ears flattened. The human grabbed me and started washing me, I couldn't fight back because of what was injected into me, but I still tried to struggle. He washed my body then began washing my ears, they were sensitive and the was he was washing them didn't help. I yelped and pulled away, his eyebrow raised and he stopped, standing up he pulled me out of the tub and walked away. Seeing a towel not too far from me I grabbed it and began drying myself off. When I was finished the human who brought me into the room came back in.

"Put these on" He instructed as he handed me clothes, I looked at them. He'd given me a suit? Why? I looked up at him with a questioning look. "What are these f-" he hushed me and left me to get dressed. When I finished dressing I walked out of the room and I was picked up once again. This time I was carried to a large room with a few people I recognized, they were all from my row! Thank goodness. But I didn't see everyone. Everyone I knew were wearing suits, they were also wearing the same confused expression on their faces. A woman walked through and put collars on our necks, each color was black. Nothing special. After she left we inspected  the collars. Minutes later people began walking into the room.

The men and women were all different ages, heights and smells. We were being judged by them! A man stepped in front of me, he stood there staring at me for about five minutes and then he smiled.

"What is your name?" He asked me. I didn't respond to him. This didn't change his mood, he held his hand out to me. "My name is Nitro." He said as he took my hand and shook it. He stood in front of me for a while longer then turner and walked away. I thought he was going to leave me alone, but he only brought back one of the hunters. I flattened my ears believing I was in trouble, but I couldn't be more wrong. Nitro handed the hunter money and took hold of my collar. I couldn't believe it.