A Death Grip

Note: This was a scene originally planned for the 2nd volume of the third year fic but, well, now I don't have time for writing long volume novels. So, instead, I decided to write snippets of the scenes I had envisioned in the form of SSs. To those who haven't read the other fic, Yokoyama Kana, is a first-year student and in that fic Ayanokoji and the others are now in their final year.

*****

I was making my way towards my room. Kei had been dragged by Matsushita and the others saying that she hadn't been hanging around them lately. Why? Because of me, apparently. When Matsushita upfront accused me of that, for appearance's sake, I had to allow Kei to be swept along by them. Not to mention, Matsushita and the other girls had a laugh at my expense when Matsushita accused me of being a controlling boyfriend that Kei had to ask for my permission to hang out with her friends. Yup, you guessed it right. It was a double-layered trap and Matsushita set me up perfectly.

Anyway, as I was heading home after hanging around with Yousuke, the time had already been 9 pm.

I was walking alone and the number of students around was a few at best. Probably because of the insane heat although it was night already.

While I was walking, I noticed that someone was tailing me. 

In fact, she had been tailing me ever since I left the Keyaki mall. I had thought it was just my presumption but, fortunately, I was wrong.

I continued to feign ignorance as I walked.

I took a detour and instead of heading toward my dorm, I headed towards the empty space behind the fabled tree where Satou had confessed her feelings for me. 

I increased my pace just a little. Maybe she noticed it, she increased her pace a bit as well. 

I disappeared into the building right behind.

There was no one there: only me and the dark night sky above my head.

Even without turning around, I could feel that the one who had been following me was hiding behind the pillar avoiding being seen by me. From where she was, she couldn't see who or how many people were there since it was dark to boot.

I then tried my best to produce sounds that would feel like two people struggling to someone from a distance. This was my first time doing it so I didn't know for sure whether it sounded authentic or not. But seemed like it worked.

 I opened my mouth and spoke in a barely audible voice, "There's no use struggling. You know you can't beat me."

Just then, my pursuer suddenly jumped into action and ran towards me.

"Stop it right there, Ayanokoji-senpai!"

I turned around to face her.

"Stop what, Yokoyama?"

I opened the torch from my phone and lit the area around us.

She looked confused as she moved her head around.

"Wait...he's not here...?"

"Who's not here? Were you expecting someone else here?"

She looked cautious of me. "There was no one else here apart from you?"

"No."

"But I definitely heard sounds of people struggling."

"Must be your ears playing a trick on you. There is no one here except me. And you."

"Then, why are you here in such a shady place at this time of night all alone?"

"Because I noticed someone following me. That's why I led you here."