Chapter 5

"Ava Thomas." A woman called as I was sleeping soundly on Kendall's shoulder. I stood quickly, and then regretted it. Kendall held the small of my back up and then stood behind me. "I'll take you back by yourself to weigh you and get background on ya, but your husband can come into your room to wait." She smiled at Kendall. I felt suck suddenly. She thought he was my husband.

"Okay." Kendall smiled at her. She started down the hall as Kendall shot me a glance. "Go with it." He said. I nodded. I walked back with her and she pointed Kendall into a room across the hall. She did the routine check up. Weight, height, blood pressure, drinking, or smoking.

"You're sexually active obviously." She said smiling at me. That was a little inappropriate, I thought.

"But I haven't in a long time." I told her as if that mattered. She furrowed her brow.

"Excuse me, how unprofessional of me. I'm sorry." She said touching her chest a tad embarrassed. I smiled kindly.

"It's okay." I assured her. She then went down the list.

"Are possibly pregnant now?" She asked making a face as if she was still embarrassed to ask this. I shook my head. Unless a miracle happened, there'd be no kids within me ever.

"No possible way." I told her. She nodded and wrote that down. She then told me to go across the hall and the main care giver would be in there within twenty minutes.

"That was brutal." I told Kendall. He was confused looking. "Very personal questions and then she looks like she's judging me. Like about the sex questions, she's like 'obviously you're sexually active.'" I said annoyed. Kendall raised his eyebrows from the chair he was sitting in. I sat on the big paper covered chair/table in the middle of the room. I sat patiently with my legs in a Criss cross position.

"That's rude to assume. Well, you are married. But that doesn't mean that you're active in this moment." Kendall said after a moment of silence. I nodded. Kendall understood me, which was more than I could ever ask for from Mike. He asks me how I am everyday and he makes sure I'm okay. He is there for me. I'm so upset I didn't meet him sooner. I could've stopped my marriage to Mike. I could've been married to Kendall in all seriousness. That stopped my thinking process. Kendall needed to know about me. I was going to call the doctors later with him and have him be there for me when they confirm my beliefs as to what I have.

"I think..." I broke the silence. I stopped a second as he paid attention.

"You think?" He asked sitting with his leg bouncing and the other crossed over the bouncing one. He seemed nervous.

"I think I-" the door opened.

"Hello!" A nice older grey haired woman opened the door and smiled my way. "I'm Mary, and I'm the head nurse here. What's bothering you today? Your nose?" She asked me while automatically washing her hands and putting on plastic gloves.

"Yes I think it's broken." I told her. She turned and looked at me. She opened her eyes wide.

"Honey, I think you're right." She smiled. "How'd that happen?" She asked me. I waited a second and collected my story.

"I was in an argument with my husband last night." I started as she walked over and started feeling my nose which hurt a little.

"Did he do this?" She asked me immediately.

"No, I was leaving the house to go away and I fell on the concrete while stupidly landing on my face." I told her. Kendall shook his head for himself. He knew.

"This is your husband with you?" She asked, eyeballing Kendall with her gloved cold hands on my face.

"No, this is Kendall, my, uh best friend." I said looking at Kendall who smiled kindly at the woman. She smiled back happier.