20. No More Waiting

A week had past from our housewarming event. After all that we had gone through with the event, we were settling into a routine. Bee and I were aware of the fact that our life could change at any given moment, but we were going to enjoy the days of quiet and peace. We loved the quiet. At night we would sit in the livingroom, doing our own thing, enjoying the fact that we could look up and have someone to be there with. There were nights we would fall asleep in the livingroom while watching movies, or my little library reading books to each other.

It was strange, to share my days with only Bee. The life I thought up for myself was perfect. but somehow this life had become my perfect. I wondered how and when that happened. Because for the life of me, I couldn’t remember the exact moment I decided I had more feelings for Bee than I could handle. I couldn’t remember what it was that made me like him this much.  

It was a Saturday morning, and while I usually slept in, I had woken up early to do some grocery shopping. While I was out, I had texted Bee to find his own breakfast as I was eating a small breakfast myself. We were going to be having a lazy day at home and had to be stocked up on food for it. I bought some ramen and different kinds of meats and vegetables to mix into the soup. There was pizza, brats, corn dogs and hot dogs, anything that was easy to cook. I reached out for anything that I thought we would crave. It sucked to not have an Asian market, otherwise our meals would have been different. Bee and I would have to make a trip for good Asian grocery.

When I reached the house, I laid the countless numbers of bags on my arms. I wanted determined to get all the bags into the house in one trip without help. Even though some of the heavier bags were digging into my skin, I walked on. I got to the kitchen safely and silently complimented myself for the job well done.

Setting all the bags down, I threw my keys onto the counter, and kicked off my shoes. Before I could go any further I started to put away the groceries before I totally forgot about them. Placing all the items in their rightful cabinets, I noticed something different about the house. There was a unknown melody coming from the living room. It was very quiet, and just below understanding level.

Still, I worked on putting everything away before I could go and investigate. With the noise I was making in the kitchen, if it was someone bad, they would have came to check it out already. Although we rarely listened to music in the house, I concluded it to be Bee listening to some random stuff on his lazy day.

Wrapping up all the plastic bags, I placed them into our storage of other plastic bags. The kitchen was all stocked up and I was satisfied with my shopping trip. It was only then that I decided to go check out the noise in the living room. The same melody had been playing for a while and I could only wonder what song it was to get repeated.

“Bee?” I said as I came to the entrance.

On our coffee table, Bee’s laptop sat with the screen on. The couch facing it, laid Bee, listening to the song on repeat.

He sits up when he hears me. “Luna. You’re done with everything in the kitchen?”

“Yeah. What are you listening to?”

“Sit down  and listen to it. Gabe introduced me to the artist and showed me this song. I want you to listen to it as well.”

Bee patted down the part of the couch he wanted me to sit on, and I complied. The song was already playing but Bee pushed some buttons to make it play from the start.

The song was Hmong. And in all honesty, I hadn’t listened to Hmong songs in a long time. Although the tune was foreign to me, the language came to me with ease. I had never heard Hmong songs with this kind of twist before. Surprisingly I took the mix of elements well, glad to see how far our talented Hmong community had come.