Chapter 1: Sign Here!

It was 1989, aka the year I'm graduating! I finished my studies at college at quite a young age. Ever since the moon landing of 61 I was always interested in astronomy, I decided to study it as much as I could which made me the top of my class. The result of this was one of the top aerospace researchist corporations, Stellar Corp. to offer me an internship.

This internship offered me a on-site apartment and basic needs as long as I agreed to what they said! It was a great deal that I couldn't hand down! And that's where I stood at this moment. Staring at the vast building which I was soon to work in.

"Here we go, the start of something great I can tell!" I took a deep breath and smiled.

I pulled my luggage up to the large revolving door and pushed it open while tapping my finger on the glass nervously.

I rushed up to the front desk; a older lady sat down writing down words on her Macintosh computer. She didn't notice me, so I hit my hand lightly on the small call bell.

She looked up startled like she saw a ghost. The old lady then tightened her tie and cleared her throat.

"Ah! Sorry for the inconvenience, you must be the new intern, correct?" She asked curiously.

"Sure am! The name is Oscar Cecil." I smiled and rocked on my heels back and forth.

"Nice to meet you Oscar, I bet you will have a fun time working here; well as fun as studying spacey things is.. anyways, here is a keycard! This can be used to open your room and other spaces in the building." She handed me a rectangular white card with the Stellar Corp. logo on it.

"Thank you ma'am! Ah and where would the apartment complexes be-?" I asked shyly.

"Second floor across from the courtyard which is around the corner over there, you shouldn't miss it!" She stated and pointed down a hallway to her left.

"Ah! Ok! Thank you so much again!" I nodded my head and walked over to the hallway.

I strolled through the hall and saw a door with a large window next to it. The window lead to an outside area with some telescopes and benches scattered around. There was also plants that littered the outside area almost crowding the area. I saw a couple of workers talking outside, writing in small notebooks.

I grabbed the door handle and walked outside. A smooth concrete sidewalk lead to a side building that was labeled with a small sign on the entry saying 'living complex' and some small writing on the bottom saying some rules like no littering and smoking inside the rooms.

I entered and saw an average apartment complex looking front area. Mailboxes and a small laundry mat to the side. It was interesting to see this amount of necessities they provided as it was all onsite. This place was nice-nice and it was surreal I was going to be living and working here for free!

I went up the elevator to the second floor. I glanced at the keycard that was given to me; it had A12 in bold letters on the card. I quickly scanned through the hallway looking at the numbers till I found my room.

The door opened up as I used my keycard. I looked around the room and it was quite bigger then I was expecting. There was a queen sized bed with a desk and small sitting area in one room while another door lead to the bathroom and kitchen.

"Wow.." I breathed out in surprise. "Guess working hard paid off. This is.. wow! I'm speechless." I smiled.

Throughout my childhood I lived in a small house with many siblings. I never really got privacy or anything nice for that matter. Seeing this room and knowing that it's mine was unbelievable to me.