♡︎one day at a time - part 5 ♡︎

𝗯𝗲𝘁 𝘆'𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿. 𝗶 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗼 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗽𝗲 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗵.

 𝗶 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗼 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗽𝗲 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗵

"Aaliyah-"

"Can't you just leave me alone? Isn't that what you want to do anyway? You dropped me off at Victoria's house like you didn't even want me."

Aaliyah laid on the comforter of her maid bed, pulling out a book. "Maybe Nonna's right. I should go stay with her. At least she remembers me."

"Aaliyah please don't leave me. I need you here, I do."

"Then act like it," Aaliyah mumbled. She'd been trying her best to hold back on the smart comments, the rolling of her eyes, and dramatic sighs whenever her mom frustrated her. But she couldn't hold them in anymore. "You say you need me here, so treat me like it!"

"I'm sorry that I-"

"You already said that." Aaliyah cut Ariana off turning away from her.

Ariana felt tears running down face realizing how much she fucked up this time. Aaliyah was all she had, the only person who was trying to help consistently.

"I'll be back to check on you later" She smiled weakly and closed the door. Ariana knew Aaliyah needed space and that's what she gave her, at least until she needed something.

"Aaliyah do you know where I can find some extra blankets?"

"Check the top shelf in your closet" Aaliyah shouted from the other side of the door, not even bothering to step out.

Ariana breathed out a quiet 'thanks' and headed to the master bedroom. She checked the top shelf finding what she needed.

"God she's a lifesaver."

Just as she was about to get down, she noticed something. A bright pink box labeled 'Aaliyah'

At that minute she forgot all about what she came in there for in the first place. She took the box from the shelf, sitting on the floor of the dimly lit room.

"Have I seen this before?" Ariana blinked her eyes feeling like she was experiencing déjà vu.

Her tatted hand traced across the lid and she opened it. The box was filled with printed photos, hospital bands, letters, and more. Beneath everything laid a book. Ariana took her time lifting the cover and what she saw inside took a direct hit at her.

Pictures. So many pictures. There were images from when Ariana first announced her pregnancy, the baby shower, and documented notes that she'd written herself years ago from the night she spent at the hospital after she'd given birth. It didn't stop there. The further you got into the book you'd see Aaliyah's first birthday, her first time seeing her mommy in concert, and even family vacations.