♛ 45

[flashback to chapter 13]

Xiaojun's eyes twitched as he stared at the reflection of himself—but it wasn't him

Xiaojun's eyes twitched as he stared at the reflection of himself—but it wasn't him. His mirror self reached towards the sandglass. He didn't quite recall this memory, though it could also be because he simply just forgot about it. 

Oblivion was indeed one of the hardest game. It requires the players to really fight against their subconscious mind, it was more than intricate.

He soon then found himself staring at an empty room, his reflection was no longer there. The once neat room now turned to a calamity. Pieces of piano sheets, vases, and window parts all have broken down, fallen into the ground.

However, another figure soon appeared. A dead one.

His mirror self soon reappeared, knees fell to the ground. Xiaojun knew this was it, he knew. He had no doubt that this was it, the real memory. The reason was simple, even in his subconscious mind he was aware that her mother was no longer alive.

But what's holding him back from pressing the button?

It wasn't because he was in denial, nor because he was too stunned. He was startled by the sudden appearance of his mother, but that wasn't his main concern.

He was more afraid of people finding the truth about him; his background.

Xiaojun never had a father figure, at least he never considered him to be his father. His father left him when he was only two years old, so he didn't have any evident memories about him. He didn't mind though, he was happy with his mother.

Unfortunately, his mother died in the 23rd district—the war zone. She served as an intelligent for the Phantom Viper 11 years ago, right during the war between the Neo Mortem Mafia and the Phantom Viper. She was a great intelligent, the best even. But that took a turn as she fell in love with a mafioso.

He was just a mere mafioso, not even an executive. He captured her attention when he helped her find a shelter because she was injured badly. He could've killed her that day, but he was just a pure and nice soul trapped in body that was forced to do disgraceful deeds. 

They fell in love, they really did. But their love was forbidden at the time, they were soulmates who weren't meant to be.

Chevalier found out about her, so he sent another assassin to assassinate her along with her lover. She was a traitor, but she couldn't help it. 

Falling in love was more sinful than slaughtering lives.

She was assassinated in a house in the 23rd district and Xiaojun was the first one to find her. She had called him before she was killed, she knew she was going to die. It was her fault and she knew it.

Xiaojun was just 8 years old back then, he was way too young for all of this.

But when he arrived there, his mother was already dead. A man stood there, just near the wooden drawer. The man claimed to be her boss and he told him about the deal his mother made.

The Phantom Viper has always been strict with the regulations. Traitors should be ravaged, that was what they stood up on. But he didn't want to lose his best assassin, so he wanted to kill her son instead—Xiaojun.

But she insisted on giving her life away instead. So Chevalier agreed under one condition, Xiaojun should be devoted as the descendant of Phantom Viper. That was what his mother wanted him to stay away from the most, her son becoming an assassin. It wasn't like she had any other options, so she agreed.

Xiaojun sighed, remembering those bitter memories. He hesitantly pressed the number 3 button, knowing the game was going to end soon.

"Game end."

He was then back in the empty white room as he got injected another solution to stop the paramnesia. 

He exited the room, looking at the leaderboard with a bitter expression. That definitely wasn't a pleasant memory, specially because he already knew what his fate was. He knew Chevalier only wanted to make him as the descendant to protect his own son, Lee Donghyuck. It was to protect Donghyuck's real identity, so they thought he was the leader of Phantom Viper's son. 

But the tables have turned as another war was about to break out soon. So Chevalier decided he should make the first move. Being a strategic man he was, his first move was to kill the descendant as a bait. This was to create a mentality in the mafia, to show that the leader had no weak points left.

That's how Xiaojun had live the past few years of his life; knowing he'd end up being slaughtered by his own friend.

oh (2)