Chapter 1 - Rise and Shine

A/N - Hi guys! So this is the first fanfiction that I have ever written and I'm really nervous on how this will turn out. I'm sorry if I take awhile to update but I'll try to update whenever I can. Also Gwen stayed banished in this story. I also do NOT own the cover photo. The picture belongs to the rightful artist. Hope you enjoy this little Merthur fic. =)

Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin.
-----
Arthur's POV

"Rise and shine Sire!"

I groan when I hear my manservant's loud and cheerful voice. Not that I dislike his voice! No way! Not at all! His voice is like music to my ears. I grin into my pillow as I watch him gaze out the window, one of his goofy smiles plastered on his face. Wait... WHAT AM I THINKING! He's my manservant! I can't be having thoughts like that towards my manservant! Why am I even thinking about Merlin anyways?! He's a stupid dollophead. That's right. He's just a stupid dollophead. A very adorable dollophead...NO! I smack myself on the face before quickly glancing at Merlin to make sure he didn't see any of what I just did. He was standing by the dining table, his back turned towards me as he set down my breakfast. Good.

Merlin headed towards my wardrobe, beginning to pick out my outfit for the day. I sat up on the bed and stretched my arms. Merlin turned around, "I never thought I would ever see the day where you get out of bed without me having to call you about a dozen times," he said, a look of fake astonishment on his face.

"Says the manservant who can't make it to work on time."

"At least I'm not a clotpole."

"Dollophead."

"Prat."

My heart jumps at that. That adorable little smirk he gives immediately brightens my day. I chuckle at our constant bickering as I swing my legs off the bed and head behind the screen to change.

After Merlin helped me dress I walked towards the wooden dining table in my room, dressed in my favourite red tunic and black trousers. I attempted to rid the slight blush from my face before I sat down. I could still feel the warmth of Merlins fingers on my back as he helped put on my shirt. I quickly shake my head. Stop thinking about Merlin you idiot.

-----

Merlin's POV

After the royal prat finished eating his breakfast we headed down towards the armoury. I help him into his armour as he stares at the small window near the top of the wall. I roll my eyes at him. I do all the work while he gets to stand there and daydream? Not fair. Arthur slowly turns his head towards me. I raise an eyebrow at him questioningly as I strap on his pauldron. "We should go hunting after the council meeting. It's a nice day today." Arthur exclaims. I always disliked hunting, watching the Knights kill innocent animals was not my idea of fun, but I had to go. It was my destiny to protect Arthur. "Alright. Should I prepare for the trip then Sire?" I ask him.

"Yes. Right after you polish my armour, wash my clothes and change the sheets. Oh and of course you need to stay for training."

"Why do I have to stay for training?"

Arthur hesitates. I swear I see a slight blush creep up onto his face. I feel my heart start beating faster the longer I look. He seemed even more handsome then he normally is. No. I can't think of him like that. He is the king of Camelot and I am his manservant. Nothing more and nothing less.

"Be-because...we might need you for target practise. Yes, that's right. For target practise," Arthur stutters as he tries to hide his face.

I shiver at the thought of being used as target practise, again, by Arthur. I give him a small tap on the shoulder to signal that I have finished putting on his armour before we head out to the training field.

-----

Arthur's POV

I glance towards the weapons rack as I slash downwards at Gwaine. My eyes barely manage to catch a glimpse of the small, raven haired boy leaning by the stands, his arms crossed over his chest as he watches the match. I smirk to myself, my sword hovering above Gwaine's chest while he lay flat on his back in the grass. He slowly lifts his hands up in surrender, a small smile on his face. I help him up as he clasps a hand on my shoulder. He leans his head towards my ear and whispers, "I see you're trying to impress your little manservant over there," he nods his head in Merlins direction. I turn and stare at him, panic evident in my eyes. Gwaine simply chuckles, "Don't worry princess I won't tell anyone." He winks at me as he strolls towards Merlin, throwing an arm over the smaller boy's shoulder.

Immediately I feel anger surge through my body. My hands clench into fists as I glare daggers at Gwaine's back. What is this strange feeling? Gwaine is one of my closest friends so why do I feel so much anger towards him? I shout in frustration, thrusting my sword into the dirt. "Training is over!" I yell at the other Knights before I storm off.

-----

Merlin's POV

I strap the many bags and weapons onto the horse, preparing for the hunting trip that will be taking place in an hour. As I'm about to attach the last bag I hear the door to the stables creak open. I spin around abruptly. My eyes scan the room, searching for the source of the noise. None of the Knights should be here yet, there all at the council meeting with Arthur. Suddenly I feel an arm forcefully wrap around my neck. I start to panic, dropping the satchel onto the ground as I thrash about attempting to escape the arms of my assailant but to no avail. Just as I am about to resort to magic I feel pain explode from the side of my head. The arm around my neck loosens as I collapse onto the stable floor. I blink once...twice. My eyes feel heavy as I slowly look up towards the individual who attacked me. I manage to make out long, wavy black hair before I succumb to the darkness.

-----

A/N - I hope you guys liked this first chapter! =D I'm sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes. I would really appreciate some feedback in the comments on how I can improve, things that I should fix, or just what you thought of the first chapter. I'm not sure when I will write the next but I'm sure it will be up soon! Thank you for taking a chance to read my fic! I promise the next chapter will be out soon.