VIII

When I woke up the next morning, an unusual heat was spread through my body. I forgot Lucian had slept next to me last night. At least I think he slept because he had a strong arm wrapped around my waist and a leg pressed between mine.

Usually I woke up in a cold sweat but instead I woke up warm. No nightmares.

It was a nice feeling to get some actual sleep. I enjoyed the warmth and silence until I heard my dad yell from downstairs.

"Lucian, stop killing people in my home!" He shouted angrily. He probably found the people Lucian had killed.

I sat up and turned to Lucian who looked to still be sleeping. He must not be very comfortable though because he is still in jeans.

"Lucian." I patted his arm. He needed to wake up now. If dad found him he might get even more mad. I'm still afraid of him turning into my mother.

"No." Lucian grunted. He must be really tired.

"D- dad sounds mad." I said. Maybe that would get him up.

"I don't care." He threw his arm back around my waist. I thought he didn't like to be touched? Last night was involuntary because he was sleeping, but he would be really mad at me.

"I- I thought you d- didn't like t- touching?" I stuttered. I always feel like everything I do gets me in trouble, even if I know it won't.

Lucian didn't answer me. He just hummed.

"Lucian I know you're in my fucking house!" Dad yelled again. Lucian still payed no mind to my dad's loud shouts.

I could hear my dad's footsteps climbing the stairs towards my room. I could feel my heart beating faster. I worried what my father would do if he saw Lucian in here.

"Emily are you up?" Dad asked. Luckily he didn't open my door yet.

"Y- yes." I tried to cover my fear. Lucian let out a low chuckle from beside me, definitely making fun of me.

"Can I come in?" Dad asked. I looked at Lucian who just shrugged.

"S- sure." I answered. Dad opened the door and immediately stopped in the doorway. His eyes landed on Lucian's large frame laying in my bed next to me.

"Why is Lucian laying in your bed? Or in your room at all?" Dad asked. He was not happy at all.

"I- I..." Lucian cut me off before I could form enough words to defend myself.

"I helped her back to bed and I just stayed here." He said. Dad looked at him suspiciously but shook it off.

"Whatever, but if I find you hurting her in any way I will tear you to shreds and kick you out." Dad threatened. Lucian rolled his eyes before finally sitting up. "Emily, we were thinking about going to meet my lawyer so we can get adoption papers." Dad said. "And you need to clean your mess up." He pointed to Lucian.

"O- ok, I'll get r- ready." I said. Dad nodded and gestured for Lucian to leave the room with him. Lucian gets up and follows him out allowing me to get changed.

I put on a new skirt and sweater. It was one of the many outfits I ordered. I hadn't ordered many skirts but I now wish I had. They were comfortable.

After I finished brushing my hair I went to find my dad. He was sitting on the couch with my brothers talking about something. Lucian was no where to be seen but assuming by the strong smell of bleach and Lysol, he was cleaning.

"I'm ready." I said. My dad turned around and smiled.

"Good! Let's head out. You boys head to the club, we'll be back." Dad told my brothers. They didn't seem to happy staying behind but followed my dads orders anyway. "Let's head out." Dad gestured for me to follow him out. On the way I caught a quick glimpse of Lucian who was not actually cleaning. More like watching other people clean.

They looked like prospects. Dad had gone through the basic run down of a club over the past week so I was proud of myself when I remembered that.

I shook out of my thoughts and caught up with dad. I was a little nervous about this. What if he couldn't officially adopt me? Is this too fast?

Maybe I was overthinking. I've been doing that a lot now that I have time to actually think.

"My lawyer is very good. Her name is Hailey. She'll answer any questions you have." Dad explained. She sounded nice enough.

Dad drove for about ten minutes before he pulled up to an office. The front had a large sign that read Davis law firm it seemed inviting enough.

Dad opened my door and led me inside. It was definitely what you would think a law office would look like. It did have a nice marble touch to it though.

A large desk covered one wall and a waiting area on the other. There was an open doorway that led to a long hall with the offices.

"Logan! Welcome! Is this the beautiful daughter?" A tall girl who looked about the same age as the twins walked into the room. Her hair was a natural brown. Her complexion was what any girl would hope for.

"Yes, this is Emily." Dad smiled at the girl. She seemed like the complete opposite of her profession.

"Well I do have to say before we get all the fancy paper work done I have to get a DNA test done for proof of relation." Hailey said.

"That's fine." Dad looked to me. I nodded.

"Perfect, I'll get Kade on that. Actually I had already called him so he should be here soon." She clapped her hands together. "For now let's go to my office." Hailey said and led us down the hall to an open office. It was different from the rest of the building and I appreciated the more decorated room.

"I've been meaning to ask," Dad turned to Hailey like he had something important to say. "Could you cover up a simple record erase?" He asked. Hailey just gave him an unenthused look.

"Seriously! Who's record did you erase! How did you even hack that?" Hailey asked.

"No one important, and I have a few guys." Dad shrugged. I forgot he runs a Mafia. He's been the opposite of how you think a don would be.

"You're abusing your allies." Hailey shook her head.

For someone who is supposed to be professional, she isn't.

Suddenly her phone dinged. "Oh good, Kade is here." She showed us her phone screen with a notification. I assume it was Kade texting her.

"I'll go greet him." Dad got up and left the room. As soon as he left Hailey turned to me.

"Have you been to the club yet?" Hailey asked. I nodded. "The warehouse?" I nodded again. "So you've probably met the dreaded Lucian." Hailey let out a small laugh.

"D- dreaded?" I tilted my head in confusion. Besides the fact that I witness him kill three guys, I don't think he's that bad. He hasn't tried to punch me or yell at me like everyone claims he does.

"Oh you have a cute stutter!" Hailey smiled wide. A small blush spread over my face. No one has brought attention to my dumb stutter this whole time. I wish it would go away. "I'm sure if you have met Lucian he's done nothing but grumble and glare." Hailey sighed. "He's very much like a teenage boy."

"I- I don't think s- so." I said. Hailey squinted her eyes at me.

"Your too innocent." She finally said. What did she mean by that?

———

Hailey24

Hailey
24