c h a p t e r 1

3rd POV:

Y/n L/n wore a stoic expression as the bus shook on the road. Her hands resting in hand-cuffs on her lap, a folded piece of paper held tightly in her hand. She had h/c h/t hair that was in a high ponytail, pieces framing her face. She wore dark blue jeans and a light blue t-shirt.

She looked over at an officer that had a gun resting on his leg. The man looked over at Y/n and she quickly looked away, looking out the window.

Y/n was going to Camp Green Lake to "fix her behavior". She was not sorry for what she did, she thought what she was doing was right.

She caught her step-dad hitting her mother and he even threw a beer bottle at her. Y/n was used to her stepdad hitting her, but she wouldn't allow him to hit her mother. That was the last straw for six-teen year old Y/n. She grabbed a plate that was on the counter and smashed it against her step-dad's head. He fell to the ground and Y/n jumped on top of him and punched him multiple times, in the face and in the stomach. She didn't stop until her mother ripped her off of him, a phone in her hand.

"Hello? 911, my husbands been attacked." Y/n's mom spoke into the phone. Her step-dad was unconscious and bleeding terribly.

Y/n was heartbroken. She was trying to help her mom, keep her safe. The police took Y/n away and sent her to Camp Green Lake.

The bus drove into a "town" if you could call it that. There was a bunch of old wood buildings with a bunch of boys in orange jumpsuits. They all stopped what they were doing to look at the bus as it stopped.

Y/n stood up from her seat and the officer came over and unhand-cuffed her.

He went out of the bus first and Y/n followed after him.

"Yo-is that a girl?!" She heard a guy yell. She then heard whistle after whistle, after whistle, and so forth.

"Follow me." The officer said harshly as he grabbed onto her arm. He dragged Y/n into a room where there was a guy smoking a cigarette. He had ugly sideburns and a weird small mustache.

"Sit down." The man said as he took the cigarette out of his mouth and extinguished it into an ashtray. Y/n sat down and looked at the man with a stoic expression.

"Y/n L/n..." He read off of a clipboard he was looking at.

"Yes, sir." Y/n told him. Her thick country accent swimming through every word.

"My name is Mr. Sir. Whenever you speak to me, you will call me by that name and that name only. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Mr. Sir." Y/n said, putting infessis on "mr.".

"Now, I want you to listen to me here. You and you alone are the only girl here. That doesn't mean you're getting any special treatment. Just want to make that clear." Mr. Sir explained and Y/n nodded. She wasn't afraid of any wussy boys.

Mr. Sir took Y/n out of the building and she followed him outside.

"Look around you, L/n. What do you see? Any guard towers? How about an electric fence? Hmm?" He asked as she looked around. She caught one boy looking her up and down.

"No, Mr. Sir I don't see any of that."

"You want to run away?" He asked.

"Not at the moment, no."

"Well, whenever you want, go ahead and start running, I won't stop you." He told her. From one of the buildings the two could hear boys whistling at Y/n.

"I'm warnin'you!" Mr. Sir yelled at them. Y/n eyed a gun in a holster on Mr. Sirs belt. "Oh, don't worry. This here's for yellow-spotted lizards. I wouldn't waste a bullet on you. Good thinking, not running away. Doesn't nobody run away from here. You know why? We got the only water for 100 miles. Our own little oasis. You want to run away, these buzzards will pick you clean by the end of the third day."

Mr. Sir began walking off and Y/n followed him. They went into a small room with boots and clothes. Mr. Sir grabbed a pair of black boots, two white tank tops and two orange jumpsuits. He threw them on the ground.

"Go in the corner and change." He ordered. Y/n grabbed the boots, tank top, and an orange jumpsuit and went to the corner to change.

"You get two sets of clothes. One for work, one for relaxation. After three days, your work clothes will be washed, your second set becomes your work clothes. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Mr. Sir." Y/n said as she put on the boots.

"You are to dig one hole each day. Five foot deep, five feet in diameter. Your shovel is your measuring stick. The longer it takes you to dig, the longer you'll be out in the hot sun. You need to keep alert for lizards and...rattlesnakes. You don't bother them, they won't bother you...Usually."

"It's fine Mr. Sir, I worked at a pet clinic. I know how to handle a snake." Y/n told him.

"I didn't ask." He said harshly.

A short guy then burst into the room.

"Y/n L/n?"

"Yeah?" Y/n said as she came forward and grabbed her other clothes off the ground.

"I just want you to know that you may have done some bad things-"

"Oh, I ain't doing nothing wrong sir." Y/n said simply with a small smirk as she stepped up to the short man. He cleared his throat.

"As I was saying-you may have done some bad things, but that does not make you a bad kid. I respect you, Y/n. Welcome to Camp Green Lake." He said as he stuck out his hand and Y/n shook it firmly. "I'm Dr. Pendanski, your counselor."

"Start that touchy-feely crap. I'm outta here. Give her some towels, tokens, set her up."

"You'll be in "D" tent. "D" stands for "diligence." That's the mess hall. There's the rec room. And there's the showers. There's only one knob 'cause there's only one temperature-cold. And that's the Warden's cabin over there. That's the number-one rule at Camp Green Lake-do not upset the Warden." Dr. Pendanski explained as Y/n carried all of her new things. On the bright side she got a new canteen.

"Hey, Mom...who's the newby?" A dark guy in glasses asked.

"This is Y/n. Y/n, meet Rex, Alan, and Theodore."

"Howdy." Y/n greeted with a stoic expression as she looked at them with a nod.

"Yo, my name is X-Ray. And that's Squid, that's Armpit." The guy in glasses told her.

"Him, he's Mom." Armpit adds.

"They all have their little nicknames, but I prefer to use the names their parents gave them, the names society will recognize them by. Theodore, why don't we show Y/n her cot?"

"Go ahead 'pit." X-ray told him.

"Welcome to your new home, Y/n." "Mom" said to her.

The mattress didn't look terrible to Y/n, she could manage.

"Keep your bed clean." Mom said as he wandered the tent. Three boys then entered the tent. One of them had a bandana on his head and was of average height. Another one was in his normal work clothes. The last boy that entered the tent was really tall and had long blonde hair that stuck up. The last boy froze the second he saw Y/n.

"Hey, I'm Magnet. That's Barf Bag and ZigZag." The first boy said.

"Howdy." Y/n greeted with a nod, still keeping the stoic expression. Her eyes landed on ZigZag as the other boys left. They locked eyes and ZigZag quickly turned away and followed the other boys.

"You hear her? 'Howdy'." A boy laughed as he tried to imitate the way Y/n speaked.

"Hey now, let's play nice." "Mom" said as he placed his hands on Y/n's shoulders. Y/n immediately shrugged him off. "Y/n, you got any question, just ask Ricky. Ricky will be your mentor."

"Who's Ricky?" Y/n asked. The blonde boy slightly raised his hand.

"His name's not Ricky, it's ZigZag." X-ray said to "Mom".

"Whatever, you got that Ricky?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, I'm counting on you. It should be no labor to be nice to your neighbor."