9

Dr. Rune came in some weeks later, sour and pretending that he had not attempted to do anything to Elena in his storage. He attended to patients, treating them like scum until he finished for the week then he left without a word.

Elena simply frowned at his actions.

"You seen how he been acting?" a fellow nurse asked.

"Me t'ought I be on'y one seeing that shit," the other nurse replied, laughing to herself. "He no fit get some this morning."

Elena laughed along, her colleagues unaware that the doctor had been trying to get in her pants.

"Why you ain't give him some?" one of the two nurses asked Elena.

She stopped laughing. "Why would I? He's married."

"Don't be pretending we ain't seen how he look at you. That man been looking at that fat ass ever since he started working here. I seen him have a 'rection one time. He fit be  embarrassed. Wanting chocolate he know he can't eat. I'm surprised he done donated all this equipment and some of it new. You sure you ain't give him some ass?"

Elena laughed. "Shut up," she wheezed.

"Who de new mahn?" her colleagues asked.

"What?"

"De new mahn. The one who call here almost everyday. His voice...damn! Send a brother over to me hus."

Elena swallowed. She was glad that her colleagues thought Charles was black. Shit would hit the fan if anyone found out that she was in a relationship with a white man.

"Spill, Elena," the nurses laughed.

"Just...just some man. He...um... He's a nice man." She didn't know what more to say without giving away who he was.

"I know he got money. You been doing a lot more around the hospital, we recently painted the walls and cleaned the yard. Who dis rich negro?"

Elena laughed and made the motion of zipping her mouth.

.

As she walked around the store, she heard the tinkle of the door opening and when she looked up, her breath caught in her throat, her eyes landing in the grey ones that looked straight at her. What was he doing in her town?!

"Can I help you, sir?" the woman at the counter asked, also surprised to see someone so impeccably dressed, however casual, in a place such as this.

Charles tore his gaze from Elena's and smiled at the blond woman at the counter, running his hand through his messy hair which was not gelled today.  "I'm just looking for something to eat. It's been a long drive."

"Well, not sure what kind of food you're used to wherever you come from but be my guest, rich boy."

Charles only chuckled before walking down the aisle, pretending to look at things as his eyes followed Elena who was also pretending to look at goods on the other side of the isle. He had just gotten to the inn where he would be spending the coming two nights and as he drove past the store, he saw Elena coming in so he had waited a while before parking and going in after her, planning to surprise her.

She had been utterly shocked when her eyes landed on him and he kept grinning as he picked random stuff from the aisles, putting it into his basket.

Elena couldn't help the smile that kept trying to take over her face and when she looked at the counter, the blond woman was staring at the two curiously. Elena quickly became serious and grabbed a few more things before heading to pay for them.