5.

Nathan

After I had my share of Mrs Bower, I couldn't wait to get out of class and see my baby. I packed up my things early and was in such a hurry that I didn't even remember I was in a hazardous enivroment. All I could remember was my elbow making contact with a glass object and some purple substance spilling onto a girl's bag in front of me.

Oh shit!

I potentially just messed up her bag.

Was that permanent?

"It's just food coloring and water," my partner chimed in, noticing the panic on my face. A sigh of relief flooded in "It washes right off." she continues as she removed her goggles to reveal. Squinty, deep ocean blue eyes. I intentionally never paid her any mind since we were assigned partners and I was fully prepared to have her do all the work for the school year. She turned to me and her short blonde bob swooshed to the side.

"Oh, thanks!" I was genuinely thankful for her reassurance. However, the douche bag in me, wanted to play off acting like a little punk a second ago. She shrugged, like it was no big deal and went back to rummaging through her bag. Shamefully, I didn't even know remember her name.

"What's your name again?" I didn't even bother to pretend.

"Melanie." She answered, pulling out a marker.

"Well nice to meet you, offically, Melanie. I'm Na-" She held up a finger.

"I know who you are." She replied with a blank expression. Surprisingly begin to freak out like most girls did when they hung around me. It sort of felt... Nice, but deep down, my ego wanted her to gush!

Was that horrible?

"Um well, I hope you don't mind me asking you for this favor..." I stopped and she waited for me to continue, "do you think you can help me ace this class?" I knew it wasn't her problem whether I failed or not but I really needed her help, seeing that this was no longer a one sided arrangement; at least for me. She seemed to know what she was doing and appeared innocent enough. She paused for brief moment and I assumed she would say no after the pause, which I couldn't blame her. I should just save myself the embarrassment.

"Look you don't-"

"What's in it for me?" Whoa! That threw me off a bit.

"I don't know. What do you want?" She went back to thinking but didn't take too long this time, except, she inspected closely

"Whoa, hey, I've got a girl." I muttered and her expression went from curious to light hearted.

"Oh, sweetheart... I'm gay." Ok, I know I could be dense at times, but that was unexpected.

"I see!" was all I could say. It got awkward really quickly. "How about a party invitation?" I offered.

"Deal." She said didn't hesitate. I sighed again.

Saved. Thank you God!

I handed her a flyer to a party that Gail and I were planning to throw for the start of a new school year. It had been our tradtion since we started in our sophomore year. After having a brief conversation with Melanie, mostly about our expectations for school and how boring our classes would be, the bell cut us short. Melanie was a pretty chill person and it made confident that this would be the beginning of a new friendship. I hurriedly snatched up my bag and said my goodbyes to Melanie. She waved and I was out. Before Mrs. Bower could call my name.