Chapter Fifteen

"I can't believe you're doing this! This makes you just like us, Clark! This makes you a murderer!"

"Shut up!" Finn shoved Bellamy roughly as they ventured further into the woods.

"Finn, you know Arlean's innocent. Com'n you can't do this."

"I said, shut up!" Finn stopped and yanked Bellamy down.

"You're tying us to a tree? Really original, Clark." Arlean's voice was low, and rough but it didn't stop her from mocking Clark.

Not another word was said as Arlean was shoved down, and she winced painfully. They were tied to the tree and without another look back, Clark and her band disappeared.

"I can't believe they actually did this. That she did this." Bellamy shook his head.

Arlean just groaned in response and leaned her head back, closing her eyes.

"Hang in there." Bellamy muttered, "We're going to be fine."
I hope.

~

"Its been three hours. At this rate, I think we're going to starve to death before the so called grounders come for us."

"A bit overreacting, don't you think?" Arlean shifted her position, grimacing at her uncomfortableness.

"I think-" Bellamy was cut off as Arlean yelled, "Duck!"

Bellamy jerked down as did Arlean, who let loose a batter of swear words at the pain that exploded up her side.

An arrow landed between the two of them, burying itself in the tree.

"Are you okay?" Bellamy asked, concerned and Arlean nodded.

Then suddenly figures appeared in front of them. And before either of them could ask a question, the grounders had cut through the ropes, and doused the both of them in some kind of liquid. Then everything went black.

~

When Arlean came to, she strung up, much like in the drop ship, with both arms restrained. She looked to be in a hut of some sort. She tested the ropes around her wrists. They held securely.

She swore as she then slowly became aware of the pain in her abdomen. Arlean could only hope Bellamy was okay, and far away from whatever mess she'd caused.

The flap at the opening of the hut fluttered and a pair of guards stepped through, dragging Bellamy behind them.

"Oh, please no." Arlean whispered, ignoring her inner voice telling her to forget about him. It'd been a long time since she'd let herself feel, but she'd let Bellamy in, if only a fraction, it was still something.

"Arlean?" Bellamy struggled to stand once they'd restrained him. "Are you okay?"

Arlean nodded and saw Bellamy only had a few bruises.
The guards retreated to the far corners and a woman entered into the hut.

Her face was long and angled, her hair the color of rich dirt. She wore furs around her as a coat.

She stepped up to Arlean, first, studying her. Arlean shifted under her gaze.

Finally the woman asked, "How many of them are you?"

"What?"

Before she could react, the woman backhanded Arlean across the face.

"How many of them are there? How many sky people?"

"Sky people?" Bellamy asked the question this time and was rewarded with a punch to the jaw.

"Okay, Okay! We get it! Answer your questions or we get beat." Arlean spoke sarcastically. The woman's eyes narrowed. But this time Arlean was ready for her strike and she dodged the fist.

The woman glared at Arlean, apparently not liking being shown up. "I was hoping not to do this, but I'm sorry." She seemed truthful for the moment. And then she said, "Follow the usual routine until they answer."

Then the woman left them alone with the two very scary guards.