The Killings of Anonymous Chapter 2

Chapter 2:  Death pays a price

          Standing there, at the chilling grave of my father, feeling the pain of his lifeless body at my feet, shook me to the icy bones.  He’d lived his life as a wonderful man, of many qualities and traits, some of which, I, myself will acquire over times traveling.  Only till then, I must see him as the cold, shaken soul that had slipped away underneath me- and the rest of us.  

                As I’d expected, the tears came next, running across my pupils and falling to the dew grass and sow that lied upon, only beneath my trembling feet. And so did my siblings cry, they sobbed for our poor father, and then for my mother. She had never thought about this happening, she was as radiantly shocked as we were.  I felt sorry for her, and my sisters, they had too, lost our dear loved one.  I would never see him again…  I’d never expected- even dreamt of this nightmare.  Yet, it follows as deeply true as truth can be.

                Then, right there- that moment as soon as the tears stopped, we’d all been going to our cars, leaving, heading for the new journey ahead of us; this journey harder than anything I’d ever experienced.  The worst of all, I’d be going without a mentor in life, I’d have to learn on my own, and try to live life as if he was there.  And then there I was; I was ready.

                “It’s gonna be alright Ise’.  We’re going to be fine,” Lyla told Isabelle brightly.  Isabelle was in tears still, she understood what had happened.

                Lyla and I started whispering to each other lowly, so mom couldn’t hear.

                “Lyla, I don’t know what’s gonna happen.  What if mom-,” I was interrupted.

                “Mason, I know… I know…” Lyla said coldly in terror.

                “How are we going to stay alive?  Will she try and kill us?”

                “Just, just don’t think about that right now. Whatever happens, you know, we can fight through it, together,” She replied.

                “You’re- you’re right…” I walked towards the car, and leaned on its side. Lyla followed unhurriedly.

                “We’ll be fine…” I murmured in an unwelcoming tone.

                Perhaps everything would be fine?  We’d all go home, finding new trust in each other as we would live and develop on with our lives even with the departing of my dear father.  Everything seemed different now, though.  As if a new world had emerged around me; everything seemed to darken, and the storm clouds hanging above made it all the worse.

                This was possibly the most grueling night of my life.  A life-long of fatherless unity had emerged before me.  Maybe it was meant to be this way?  Something unknown made this happen?  Too bad my life isn’t a science fiction story.

                I cannot comprehend one thing about this murder, though. How could that vice driver have killed him so swiftly?  He left evidence, yes.  He knew he would be hunted, yes.  But why?  Some people seem to boggle my own mind.

                “Get in the car,” Mom ordered as she walked over. Of course we all listened, and all fell in drooping positions across the cold seats within: Lyla and Ise’ in the back, and me in the passenger seat.

                I was actually   astonished that she’d let me sit up there. Whenever we were alone with her before she’d always forced us to sit in the back seats, though this was a moment in which we, or she, had no reasons to yell.  Our most dearly loved father was gone.