Devil's assistant [14]

Start from the beginning

“How can a book be dangerous?” I spoke before I could stop myself, a frown firmly on my face as my hand was raised in the air like I was a school student. After a quick exchange of looks between the three non-humans however, they looked down at me as if I was exactly that, a child who needed schooling.

“Let us put it into terms that you can understand, it’s like giving a ‘how to make bombs’ guide to a terrorist along with the floor plans and security detail of the guards. This book is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine because with the information in that book, they have the power to bring on the apocalypse should they wish it.” Gabriel was stern as he said this, his eyes never wavering from me as he spoke. “The book is beyond dangerous; its effects could be cataclysmic.”

I nodded my head dumbly but it still didn’t explain what the book did, only that it could be bring on the apocalypse if in the wrong hands. “So the book is?” I trailed off when Gabriel stared me down.

Ezekiel who seemed to know what I meant perched on the back on the sofa and wrung his hands a few times. “The book is the instruction manual for controlling the Angelic and the Demonic, the only good part is they don’t have the key to unlock the second part of the book, the how to control the Arch angels and Arch demons section, because the key  is still safely with him.” I breathed a sigh of relief only to tense back up again when he looked down at me like he was chastising me. “You can’t relax, if they somehow figure how to open it without the key, it will be the end of life as you know it. But even with only the lowers at their command they could cause irreparable damage. There are only certain people that are completely immune to the books effects and there are two in this room, you and Danny, a protected one and a Nephilim.”

I glanced at Danny who looked so innocent in his sleep before turning my gaze to Gabriel and Ezekiel in confusion. “What the hell is a protected one? And what more importantly is a Nephilim?”

“A protected one is a person who has been given a mission by Him and thus is not allowed to be touched by the demonic or the angelic. They are outside the realm of their feuds, the soul belongs to neither, it is a free soul so long as they complete the mission. An example of this is Noah and his great big ark which looked positively ghastly if you ask me and of course Moses.” Gabriel sounded quite bored as he recounted all of this to me, his eyes staring at his fingernails as he did so.  “And a nephilim is the offspring of an angel and a human.” He explained all of this placidly but after that sentence, I couldn’t have gaped any wider at the man. An angel and a human?  That’s impossible.

“Danny’s dad was a human. He was an American businessman, he was not angel. I think I should know if the guy I screwed was an angel.” I retorted hotly, getting angry that they would even assume to know more than me but at the same time, I was terrified he was right and I didn’t even notice the difference between human and angel. I shook the thought from my head as I tried to relax myself, my hands slowly unclenching whilst my mind was throbbing with a million thoughts. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the three of them exchanging looks.

“Fine, I’m sorry, I must be mistaken.” Gabriel muttered something else under his breath but luckily for him I decided to ignore it.

“Yeah because there would be no possible way that the flying pig brigade would ever admit to being less than perfect.” Lucius cut in with a smirk. He waggled his brows at me. “We all know that if angels had their way, the whole world would be celibate and of course the human race would be extinct. That’s why they’re not in charge.”

Gabriel growled at Lucius whilst Ezekiel just shook his head, though I couldn’t tell whether he was amused by the comment or not. “It’s better than your policy Lou, to sleep with everything that moves and overpopulate.” I snorted at that one and nodded my head in agreement. That sounded about right to me.

Lucius rolled his eyes not at all bothered by their comments as his fingers caressed the back of Danny’s head. “That’s not what is important, what we need to be thinking about is where we go from here. We all know that it’s going to get bad real soon, but first we need to check that the book is actually gone and if so find out who took it. Cut the rose at its bud. If the book is still there then I say we destroy it or at least move it to a safer location so these kids don’t get a hold of it. I don’t fancy my men being under the control of some kid that thinks he knows what is right.”

“And you need to find the mole.” I blurted out as he paused for breath which drew their attention to me. I lifted my hand to stifle a yawn.

“Nearly forgot about that.” Ezekiel acknowledge as he got up to pace. “We should discuss this further in the morning.” Lucius and Gabriel were about to protest but he nodded his head towards me. “She’s having information overload and I think the patient needs her sleep.”

With that nothing else was said but in a flurry of movement, I was snatched up from the chair and oddly found Gabriel holding me in his arms, he gave me the smallest of smiles before walking towards the screen that separated the bed from the rest of the room. I tried to protest and say that I was fine but he ignored me, stepping around the screen before placing me gently on the mattress and pulling the sheets up over me. I wanted to struggle more but it wasn’t until I was in the comfort of the bed that I realised how tired I really was. But still I didn’t want to sleep, there were so many things learnt, so many things to argue against, just too many things. I sighed and brought my hand up to massage my temples. Maybe it would be best to wait until morning.

Huffing as my eyes fluttered shut I mumbled somewhat coherently to them. “Fine we’ll talk about this in the morning.” I then relaxed back into the comfort of the bed and fell to sleep with a million thoughts flitting through my mind but the main one was wondering if Danny’s father was an angel and if Danny was truly a nephilim.

Sorry it's not very long but as you know I'm very busy at the moment. Next upload will be next wednesday but sooner if I get some of my work finished early. You'll just have to wait and see.  I know a few will have found this hard to follow but here's a heads up. Prophet and protcted one not the same. Prophet is one who writes future events, things that come true. The Protected one is like Noah and his Ark. Lucius is being quite wimpy for a devil at the moment but he's going to show his dark side soon but just so you know i don't follow traditional beliefs on things, I pretty much make them up, loosely using  the ideas of demons and angels.