22

CHAPTER 22:

The glint in ice blue is like tipping an iceberg over and seeing the years of depth underneath. It's never simplistic, it's never easily movable. In fat, the sheer rise of a twitch of icy lips raises before he clicks his finger to the beat of the music. At first, I thought that was all it was.

In the strips of air, the waves that were microscopically seen—visualised in the tiniest of particles was magic swimming and sifting through space and time. I felt it's cold fingers brush along my surface and crinkle my dress—feel the world that was mine. I narrow my eyes and run them towards my crew, Athena frowned, looked sideways next to Nicolai, who was occupied with Robert and two alphas I knew but never cared to detail the names of. Torrence and another, I believe.

The cold's depth moved around and fluttered like strange butterflies around me.

I meet the ember eyes I needed across the room.

His impenetrable and tall form, brooding and so concentrated. His determined steps move, before a pair of bodies lean in. They stop his advance, Hayden moves closest to me and blocks the sight of Alastair making headway on whatever advances he planned when he recognised something in me, "Walk." Hayden whispers in seething teeth. He took the brunt of something I wasn't feeling.

"Where are you headed, rider?" A slither of ice rumbles in front of me, with blue eyes on Hayden, who moves in front of me and forward, making the impenetrable feeling—ancient and powerful stick sharp, welcoming knives in my back. Trying to tickle.

I squirm uncomfortably and shiver. Goosebumps and something else ruffles through me. I felt hungry and empty and full and happy...all at once, "What is happening?" I wisp out, it was difficult to breathe, like something was tightening—a noose around me. But not around my neck.

"Get to Theorin. West corner." Hayden orders, I move behind a group of wolves and feel them ruffle while eyes followed me before suddenly, groups part and something cracks.

Dropping with a small clank was something I didn't realise could be destroyed.

That's what was happening.

I tense as I feel for the ring that was supposed to be on my finger. It was there, laid down on the marble floor.

I quickly drop down, grab it, pull it on and twist it before anyone could see, before anyone was looking. The flavour of DNA and the combination, "Little rat, aren't you?" I hear a deep voice, recognisable. What used to be harsh and coloured dark with shades of cold ice blue, was a calm, almost fascinated remedy to the mind, brain, thought. Like he brushed the heated surface.

"Excuse me?" I question in the voice used for the body.

Alastair's face was different, but the eyes...all in the eyes, "You lie as much as you breathe. Rat." He says, brushing a hand between us and not waiting for me to breathe before grasping my hand in his almost vampiric cold one. I grit my teeth as he tilts his head when a face I did not think would intervene stops the king. Creed's greedy ember eyes smirks, his lips don't after he removed his ring. Out in the open.

Alastair narrows those blue eyes, "Legion, what are you doing here?" Alastair did not expect this.

Creed tilts his head at him, "Remove your hand, or I'll invoke protocol."

"Yes, the high king's soldiers love predictability." Alastair mutters, his grip on me loosens.

"I said. Remove your fucking hand." Creed seethes the demand, it makes Alastair's hand hold, but the grip is soft—reading. I freeze before twisting his arm and hitting the spine, I press the exact pressure point that might work in distracting Alastair. A warning flared like a dark thunderous cloud over us, before Alastair chuckles. He lets go and trails his eyes to mine. Creed steps forward as Alastair does and looks at me with newfound wonder.