Chapter 16

When the plane landed she felt like an entirely new person. The city's skyline was beyond anything she'd ever seen before, even if she had only glimpsed a part of it when the plane had approached the airport.

The shops and restaurants were of no interest to her, especially since it was already a bit late in the evening. At least, it was for her. Usually, Ava was already fast asleep at this hour to get enough sleep in to start the new day fresh and well-rested.

While walking towards the exit a thought occurred to her, she had no idea how she'd get to his place. There shouldn't be a shortage of taxis around, but she didn't have an address to get to. Stress started building up while she grabbed her phone from the bag and she silently prayed that Mr. Chastain would pick up.

She had no idea at what time he'd go to sleep and there was nothing to do but hope he was still awake so he'd pick up his phone.

"Ava," someone called out just as she was about to press the call button.

Confused, she looked around. There were millions of people in this city, what were the chances someone knew her?

She got her answer when she spotted him. Mr. Chastain was casually approaching her from her left as if he'd been waiting for her. But why would he do that? Lately everything he did just confused her and she knew she wouldn't get that many answers.

"How was your flight?" he asked when he got close enough. Knots formed in her stomach as his face reminded her of the last time they'd spoken, and the reality of his opinion of her came back.

But she had to remain professional, so she put on a mask of neutrality before answering. "It went well, thank you," she replied with a polite smile.

He nodded before looking at the bag in her hands and then frowning at what he saw. "Where is the rest of your stuff?" he asked.

"This is all my stuff."

"Alright, but... You're going to be here for a while you should probably have brought more," he said while scratching his neck.

"I don't have more, this is all my stuff," she replied, repeating the last part.

He looked at her, and then at the small bag. And then at her again as if his mind couldn't process what he saw. Once he opened his mouth, but then thought better of it and closed it.

He seemed to land at acceptance when he nodded. "Alright. Let's go, then."

They walked back in the direction that he'd come from. The walk was longer than she'd expected, she'd never seen an airport as big as this one before. The hallways seemed endless and would only split into more at the end of each of them.

After a while, they reached a car park and it wasn't hard to spot which car was his. It looked similar enough to the one back at the estate, yet different. They were both black and shiny but this one was a bit lower than the other one. The logo was different, too, but she couldn't tell what it meant.

"Here," he said as he reached out to get her bag, which she handed over to him. He opened the trunk and placed it in before closing it again.

Ava wasn't sure what to do next so she just waited for him to tell her, but he walked past and opened the passenger door. It opened in a wildly different way than the previous one. The shiny black door moved upwards instead of out, which she'd never seen before.

She'd been so busy admiring the strange door she almost missed him gesturing for her to get in the car. The inside also looked different, yet kind of the same. From memory, she couldn't tell exactly what was different, but she knew it was.