41. traitors

~~~~♛~~~~

"Well at least you ain't run off

"Well at least you ain't run off."

You sat at the fire, coffee in hand. It was early morning, the sun shining through the overhead trees. You watched the fire as you overheard Dutch and Arthur's conversation.

"What you talking about?" Arthur asked.

"Pearson left, old Uncle, the traitors. Both gone. They said to young Tilly they were running to save themselves. I think Mary-Beth left as well." Dutch responded.

"So it goes." Is all Arthur said in response.

You didn't think they were traitors at all. They knew this was over, and wanted to get out before it happened. Hell, they were smarter than you, still sitting around thinking you could do something.

You overheard Arthur say "I guess they just don't wanna die." He was thinking the same thing you were.

The two of them walked around to the other side of Dutch's tent, you could no longer hear them. Dutch had mentioned to you the other day something about "one last train." You figured that's what they were talking about. You looked around at the other camp members. Micah fiddled with his knife, he didn't even look like there was anything going on. John on the other hand, had the same nervous face he has had the past few weeks. You just shook your head, thinking about where the group would be in the coming days.

Dutch and Arthur came out from behind the tent. "We have work to do my friends, let's go." Dutch said to the group. "We are going to borrow a little money from old Uncle Sam and be out of his hair, once and for all."

Micah practically jumped out of his seat at this statement. Everyone else slowly pulled themselves up, following Dutch to the horses. You were walking in the back with Arthur. You looked up at him, about to say something, but he just shook his head with a "there's nothing we can do" look across his face.

Everyone mounted up, and followed Dutch out of camp. The plan was to ride to the outskirts of Saint Denis. A train was coming through, a patrol waiting for it in Annesburg. Dutch explained that the group would board quietly, and stop it before it got to Annesburg. Dutch sent John off to grab dynamite that was stored out in the woods, Arthur went with him. You stayed with the larger group as you made your way toward the city.

The group stopped right outside, to wait for Arthur and John to arrive. The group was quiet, a few people smoking to pass the time. You looked around until you saw the boys riding up in the distance. As they arrived, the group was on the move again.

"Ah, there you are. Got everything?" Dutch asked them.

"Yeah." Was the only response from Arthur.