Chapter 1 - Meeting

I wake up to due to the deeply rooted fragrance of Hasker's donuts. Janelle, my mom, always buys them for me on my last day over. She leaves a half full box in my room when she comes home from work. She works nights often and doesn't get off until 7:00 a.m.
I wake up and look at myself in the mirror. There stands a short girl (about 5'2) with milky brown skin, and a messy bun holstered on the top of her head. She's staring right back at me with a grim expression. Maybe she's feeling the same as I do. Maybe neither of us want to go back home to a father that is always away on business trips and never truly pays any attention, despite his attempts. Maybe she doesn't want to start a new school in two days either.
Sigh.
It can only go up from here, I tell myself as I often tell myself. Even though, lately, I debate the reliability in my statements. There are bright sides though. Mom just finished college, so if the interview goes well today. The court's letting me stay with her.
After I get out of the shower with my wet curly hair, lotion down, and do my normal hygiene things, I stare at mt closet. I eventually grab black joggers, a white shirt with a bacl and white Marilyn Monroe rolling a blunt, and my low top black and white All-Star Chucks.
I throw ny still wet hair into a slick, messy bun and put on a black and white bandanna as a headband.
"Shadow!" I call for my black Doberman.
Hearing the scratching of his nails against the wooden floor, I know he's coming. He stands at my doorway wide-eyed and panting.
"Gogettheball," I say in a quick manner, knowing that just excites him more.
He comes back with my basketball and tips it towards me with his nose. Shadow then sits, looking up at me in a begging manner. I know what he wants.
I pat his head. "No, boy. You can't come with me. You always ruin the game."
Shadow whines and lowers his head in a begging position.
"Don't give me the look. It won't work," I warn him.
He gets down lower and puppy dog eyes me.
"I'll be back." I pat his head. "Jeffrey's gonna come get you, okay?"
He scurries to the corner. I know he's upset that Im leavings. He hasn't seen me in weeks. I've been in Louisiana for summer vacation and I stayed there through most of first semester.
"Okay, C'mon you big baby."
We go to the door and I see Janelle fast asleep on the couch. I know she's tired, so I don't bother her for her keys so i can get my clothes out of her car. I look around and grab them, exiting the door. I get my overnight bag out of the car, leave the apartments, and go to the courts.
Shadow takes off in front of me.
I chase after him. "Shadow!" I call. "Shadow, come back!" Shadow's out of sight now, but Im not worried. He's well trained and he'll fome back. Im still chasing him when BAM! Im knocked to the ground.
"Watch where the fuck you're-" the person starts, then stops and looks at me. "Im so sorry, beautiful. Let me help you up."
Once I'm to my feet, I see the person clearly.
It's a tall girl (about 6'4) with caramel brown skin. Her eyes were brownish green and her teeth were perfect. By the way she was dressed I could tell that she was a stud. She had an eyebrow piercing and kiss tattoo on her collarbone. It looked as if she had just gotten it. She's beyond sexy, but I'm not gay. I'm just observant. I don't notice I'm staring until she laughs.
She laughs at me and bites her lip. "Soo?"
I smile. "So what?"
She laughs again. "Remember? I asked for your name."
"Oh, I'm Summer."
"I'm Rayne Robinson, but everybody calls me Ray." She grabs my hand and kisses the back of it, looking me in my eye. "You knew around here?"
I shake my head. "Yes and no. Not really. I've just been in Louisiana for some months and now Im back to Cali. I never stayed on the south side of Cali though."
Ray smiles. "Well, you should let me show you around town some time."
I nod and smiles. "That'd be nice. Do you happen to go to Ridgewood?"
Ray smiles even wider. "This is my third year there. What about you?"
"Well, I used to go to Breuxwood, but I'm transfer to Ridgewood in two days."
Rayne
I do a little dance in my head. Cute new girl goes to my school? Turn up! A big ass dog runs up.
We hold a casual conversation until we reach the courts.
"By any chance, do you know Charles?" she ask, looking up. Lol. She's a midget.
I roll my eyes at the sound of his name. "Yea I know him." Cocky bastard. "I'm competing against him in basketball for a couple Gs today."
Her mouth widens. "Like grands?"
I laugh. "Yes. Like grands." She's so cute. "So, why you need him?"
"That's my boyfriend," she says smiling.
I frown on the inside. She deserves way better than that ugly asshole. "Oh."
"Could you take me to him?"
"Sure. My truck's right there." I point to my shiny, black Ford f150.
"I don't ride with strangers."
"Im not a stranger anymore." I bite my lip. Of course I open the door for her as I help her midget ass climb in my highly raised truck. I let Shadow in the pick up back.
When I get in the car, she's connected her phone to my auxiliary cord.
I laugh. "If you don't ride with strangers, dont touch strangers' radios!"
She giggles and plays Lil Wayne Carter V album.
"What you know about this?"
"Enough," she says smiling her beautiful smile.