Ch. 3

Even after riding a horse for two weeks Em still didn't feel comfortable on them. Every day she was swapped between people, perched behind the person, and hanging on for dear life. The first day she hadn't been able to walk after dismounting and had never been more grateful for Lillabeths ability to heal.

Em was currently hanging on to Telen with all her might. Today or tomorrow they were due to reach the capital city Forteema, during the past two weeks the countryside had slowly changed from woodland forests to open sandy plains with small bush and scrubs. A sluggish creek could occasionally be seen, and the temperature had slowly started to warm up.

Herds of deer and cattle roamed at will. The people seemed wary when the travelers approached. They especially avoided the men and seemed much more comfortable talking to Lillabeth.

Maelgywn normally had found them a campsite where they'd quickly set up and get as much rest as possible before setting off again. He was clearly anxious to get to the capital and try to find a cure for his wife.

"We will be there soon" Telen broke through her thoughts.

"Why is everyone so angry at Edmund?" Em asked, tipping her head to one side, her braid swung around her shoulders, she had gotten pretty proficient at braiding her own hair and helping with the small chores around the camp as time had passed.

"He is not only betraying the throne, but he is upsetting the Balance" Telen replied tightly.

"The Balance?' What, of life? Are we on the Lion King?" Em had no idea what these people were talking about sometimes. She felt a pang of homesickness, she missed her friends and was worried about how her mother was coping without her. Life seemed so much simpler when she looked back.

"The King of lions? Is there such a thing where you come from?" Telen turned back and looked at her with uncomprehending eyes. "You say the strangest things sometimes, Lillabeth teaches it better but in a basic sense, there is balance in everything. Well, there should be, between light and dark, good and bad, everyone needs to have that balance in order to be happy."

"I don't think that's true." Before Em could continue her point Telen broke through, "As I said Lillabeth explains it better"

Em shrugged and let the matter drop, just one more thing to ponder after all. This world had rules that she had no idea. The book that she had been reading had the same characters and main issues, yet once the story took on a life of its own things changed. The author may have built this world, but they only provided a skeleton, everything else grew around that.

Thinking about it gave Em a headache, she felt like she hadn't slept properly in weeks, sleeping with Lillabeth wasn't easy, although far slimmer than Em she was taller and liked to spread out in her sleep. It was weird sleeping so close to someone else after being in her own bed for so long, and even though she was exhausted every night her thoughts wouldn't stop spinning.

The knights were kind to her although distant; Maelgywn would sometimes look in her direction then shake his head and the others tended to take their lead from him. Over the two-week period, Em had noticed things about them. Alistair was especially attentive to Lillabeth; all of the knights had known each other for years. From what Em had gathered Lillabeth and Maelgywn were brother and sister. Lillabeth had been good friends with Queen Ehlanna when she was younger. Maelgywn had come to train under the previous King like Telen was doing now. Maelgywn and Ehlanna had fallen in love and the match was approved. Whilst training Maelgywn had met Everett, Balen, Lucan and Alistair. These men now made up some sort of council for the state. One night they had tried to explain to Em exactly what was currently going on;

The problem was not only that the Queen was sick and the heir was Princess Sarcha, who was only eight. If the queen were to die, many fractions would back Edmund, the Queens half-brother. Maelgywn was the consort of the Queen so he would still retain power. Sarcha was considered too young to rule and some even argued that since Maelgywn was only a consort he does not have the power to rule.