CHAPTER 1

A JAIL CELL FILLED WITH STRANGERS

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

IF I KILLED THAT CLOSE FRIEND, WOULDN'T WE BREAK FREE OF THAT BRAINWASHING WE CALL ❛ FEELING❜ AND BE ABLE TO PROVE OURSELVES TRULY AS FREE BIRDS?

(Nikolai Gogol from Bungo Stray Dogs)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

(A/N: dialogue that look like this- 'Hmmmmm' -are thoughts)

It's been a while since that news article about Sou Hiyori. [Y/N] has been getting better, well much better than back then. She was still very much upset by his death, but the [H/C]-haired girl now at least knew that she had to take care of herself. Though during the darker times, [Y/N] had immensely contemplated dying just to get rid of the weight she has to carry. Death was one of her reoccurring thoughts, but they weren't as bad as this. Luckily, she still wasn't mentally prepared to die. She was still afraid of death and the pain it would cause her. [Y/N] did feel guilty knowing that her friends would be put into misery if she died, it's just that she wasn't sure if she could handle life any longer.

During the darker times, [Y/N] did go to people to talk about this matter and it did help her a lot. However, she still felt incomplete and sorrowful no matter how many times she spoke. Other than that she'd try to hide the fact that she was dealing with this kind of thing. The [H/C]-headed girl would try her best to be happy whenever she's around her friends. Though it was proven difficult as some things would end up reminding the girl about the green-haired man. [Y/N] would zone out much more often. Ironically enough, what comforted the [H/C]-haired girl was also something related to the man she was mourning over. Sou's coat. She'd wear it with most of her clothes and it just became a thing she did. [Y/N] was more emotionally stable-ish now.

Currently, [Y/N] was walking straight home from her part-time job. Her hours end during nighttime so she was walking faster than usual. It wasn't that someone was definitely stalking her, it's just that she didn't have the privilege to feel safe as she walks alone in the night sadly enough.

(A/N: Is that okay to write??? Idk-)

"Why is the dark so scary? I guess it's 'cause you can't see anything." the [H/C]-headed girl whispered to herself. Her eyes glanced around her then muttered, "Fear of the unknown...?"

The girl continued to jog towards her apartment without making any stops. After a couple of minutes, she had finally arrived. She was right in front of the building. [Y/N] expected safety's embrace but instead, she was met with a thick atmosphere.

"Something feels off," [Y/N] said as she glanced around. 'It might be late, but the neighbor's lights should still be on by now..? In fact, everyone's lights are closed.'

The [H/C]-haired girl tried to gather her courage up, 'It's probably just nothing. People are people after all! Besides, I want some fucking sleep.'

Walking up the stairs, she got up to her door. [Y/N] fished out her keys from the pocket of her hoodie and looked at the doorknob for a moment. She just couldn't get rid of this small sense of dread she had. Gulping her fear down, she inserted the key through the lock of the door. Though hesitant, she twisted the key and her wrist, finally opening the door to her so-called safe haven.