Chapter 17

Hello! Sorry this took so long, but writers block struck again and made me its bitch. The comments really did help though, so thanks guys.

Anyway, this chapter might clarify things for some of you who could be a bit confused right now, and it's quite important, so do pay attention. It's sort of putting everything together, if that makes sense without totally spoiling the chapter.

So, I'd like to dedicate this chapter to xYour_Worst_Night_x, for being the first to comment on the last chapter. I love reading the comments for this story, they're what really motivate me to keep writing it, some please keep 'em coming, guys!

Hope you like the chapter, and please vote/comment. Happy Easter! :)

Pic is of Declan Mullaley

Nicholas' POV

After leaving Malcolm passed out asleep on his bed, I had run for four hours to a few towns over in order to buy an interstate bus ticket from someone who wouldn't rat me out to the Blue Moon Pack. I'd always liked running, and with the life I'd led, it was a very useful skill. If pushed, I would guess that I could probably match the average werewolf in speed, although not in stamina.

The bus arived Harroway Creek, a small town less than thirty miles from Fenway, at ten p.m. and left again fifteen minutes later, and I spent most of the long Pennsylvania-to-Indiana journey trying and failing to sleep. I couldn't banish thoughts of not only Malcolm and Kieran, but also of Eimear, Nathaniel, Aunt Carla, and Samuel. What would they think had happened to me when I never came home?

The last time Samuel had seen me, he'd been handing me clean towels as Kieran and I stood dripping with lakewater on his back porch with Malcolm and Christopher. I'd seen Aunt Carla for the last time as she'd rushed out the door to work the morning of the Lake Incident- she'd handed me a Poptart and five bucks for my school lunch, given me a quick peck on the cheek, then ran out the door to work. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen Nate or Eimear- they'd been skipping classes and full school days frequently, rarely returning home before late at night.

In my own way, I'd miss them. Nate and Eimear had always done their best by me. Nate had chased bullies away with his steely glares and thick school disciplinary file, and Eimear had sneaked into the principal's office during lunchtimes and fixed my attendance records to announce for whole class periods spent passed out in the bathroom after beatings. I'd never really counted them as my friends, I only had one friend- Kieran. They were important though, the closest thing to family I'd had in a long while.

I hoped that they never found out about werewolves- they could stay safe that way. I also hoped that no one ever found about the full extentof what my father, his pack, and the school bullies (many of them werewolves themselves), had done to me. The only one who knew the full story was Kee, and I prayed that he never told anyone, least of all Mal. Some secrets are never meant to come to light.

The bus pulled into Bloomington, Indiana at 8 a.m. the next morning, and I grabbed my knapsack and shuffled off the interstate bus with the other sleepy passengers, rolling their stiff shoulders. I got several odd looks- understandable. I knew I must have seemed out of place- a scrawny blond teenage boy in baggy jeans and an orange sweatshirt with nothing but a knapsack to his name, travelling alone on what I guessed might be a Thursday or Friday morning. I'd lost track of time a while back, and now the days kind of bled into each other like a freshly-written homework essay you'd spillt a drink onto.