Writing is kinda like a time machine 3/26/21

Every year it seems like I go through this cycle where I miss the summer that happened the year before.
Summer 2018 I missed summer 2017 because I went on many adventures with the youth group I attended, at the time, and all the friends I made. We went to Kentucky and I got sunburnt and wanted to sue Cabelas for not having aloe, but selling sunscreen and everything else you need for the outdoors. I was in the alpenfest parade, and later at the concert, I asked this guy I liked to come dance with my friend and I, and it was such a time. There was going to big ticket festival and seeing one of my favorite bands in concert for the first time. Summer 2018, I didn't have any of those people in my life that I made those memories with. Summer 2019, I didn't really miss summer 2018 because I was really sad. I was going through a lot mentally and I thought everyone would be better off without me. Summer 2019 I spent with one of my close friends, at the time, julianna. We celebrated world giraffe day with floating lanterns and writing wishes on them. Her, our friend Madashia, and I hung out at Alpenfest and it was just like middle school, when we all went to school together, before we all lived in different states or towns. I saw one of my favorite bands again in concert at big ticket festival. I spent a day at Mackinac Island with my mom and the sunset was one of the best sunsets I've seen. I hung out with this twin and it was nice having a new friend around, but some reason we stopped talking, I don't even remember why. There was some sad times. The guy I was best friends with, that I liked, kept treating me bad, but I still gave him every excuse and still let him be my friend when he didn't deserve me as a friend or anything more. Summer 2020, I got my first job, and I met some pretty neat people there. They were a good support system, and I enjoyed going to work with them and laughing and making more memories with people I enjoyed being around. I enjoyed the sunsets I got to see when I walked out the doors at the end of my shift. I got with that guy, who treated me badly, but it didn't last long. I got closer to some people I had choir with my junior year. I love them a lot. They are so sweet. We went camping and danced, Swang, screamed songs, and swam in the rain. I'd always get up early each morning and walk to the mailbox. Pizza sock kid and I read each other's favorite books before he went to college. I made my friends dinner and we'd play just dance. I worked on writing a lot. I was able to do things with my mom, and it felt nice because she's done so much for me, and it was nice to take her on adventures. We went to mackinaw city, went on a helicopter, went to look at abandoned hospitals and hippie tree, see giraffes. I felt like I grew a lot as a person, but I still missed summer 2019.
I think the reason I missed summer 2019 is because that's the last time I hung out with julianna before she came into the person she is today, that I do not know. And summer 2019 is the last I knew of that boy that I spoke so highly of. There was a point where I saw him as this kind soul, and my best friend, and summer 2019 was the last time I ever saw him like that. I missed summer 2019 because that's the last time I spent time with those people. They are different people now. I don't think I'll ever get them back. But I can visit them through memories. 2019 was also the last time I got to see my best friend Madashia.
That's the thing I like about writing. Writing keeps memories, stories, and people alive. I can remember the versions of those people who made me happy and the memories we made like going to the movies to see End Game, dancing with the broom in the kitchen, all the deep conversations at the kitchen table at Julianna's house, julianna and I climbing on the roof of her old house and looking at the pretty sky. I can remember all the memories I had at my first job and the sunsets, and how I told Dawson he smells and he thought it was mean, and Alex had to explain to him that I tell everyone they smell, the faucet flying off the sink, everyone picking on me for kissing Parker but I didn't kiss Parker, tea with Chris, always telling Denny I had presents for him, getting Ben giraffe poop, writing "you smell" on a pizza box I thought was for my brother, painting pictures and writing things for them.
I can remember the memories I had throughout high school like coming home early from school because a boy made me sad, and I blared Michael Jackson as loud as I could on my radio, just because I could, and I laid on my floor. Going to cedar point for a choir competition called music in the parks, and my face was sunburnt. I told my friends that I felt like my ears were also getting burnt and my friend Hayden goes "can't be worse than your face" and I laugh so hard about it to this day.
Writing is this magical tool because it keeps memories and people alive. Maybe that's why I go back and reread, to visit the people I once knew. It's kinda like a time machine.