Chapter 40 - Countdown: Portal Minus Ten Minutes

Trueth trudged across the debris-strewn floor of the hall. 

Where is that idiot? She stopped and turned around.

What could Metjen be doing there, staring up that hole? Most likely waiting for his precious Nebmutef. Everything counted for him. Everything but her. Even now, with so little time left.

Wearily, Trueth continued on her way.

The hall appeared unchanged in its stillness, the age-old battlefield still glowing with the half-light, the empty tank with its inscription barely showing in the dusk, the ring straight ahead reflecting its eerie sheen. Trueth joined Seisi at the pedestal, the Servants and Metjen's family waited on the side.

Unsmiling. Unreadable.

Was it her imagination or had the light changed, gone darker since their last visit? But the token had died, and if the hall was also dimming, maybe it was already too late? Then she would not lose her friends. Losing Metjen might not be a bad idea... .

With a hum, the ring started to glow, filling the hall with pulsating strobes of purple light. 

====

The countdown is running, but if you could quickly push that little star - thank you!

This chapter is dedicated to Sabrinafairchild53 who has written one of the most beautiful novels on Wattpad 'Beautiful Beast'. All the flora and fauna and all the love of this world in one book, please do make sure to check it out.