25. Promise

Chapter 25

Grayson's POV

Roxanne turn away, lying on his back. Her hands clasp together on her stomach.

She looks like a midnight goddess, with her silky black hair spread on the lounger, and her fair skin illuminates under the moonlight.

Her beautiful face turns to me, her eyes reflects her sorrow.

"Does it matter what I feel for you? You'll just end up being hurt."

"Then hurt me if you must, I don't care if it would kill me now. I'm dying to know if you think of me as often as I do, or even close. Do I have a spot in your heart?"

"If I do, I can't be with you, Gray. It's like choosing between you and Julia. I don't want to lose her, our friendship is very important to me. I'll honor my promise to her."

"That's not fair. I don't even call that genuine friendship. Friends don't deprive of each other's happiness. It should be supportive, loyal, kind, caring and loving. Julia is being selfish and possessive of you."

"She's not depriving me of any man, only with you. I understand her point though, she doesn't want our friendship to get ruin. Let's say you become my boyfriend, and then we broke up. That could affect our friendship, and my relationship with you and your family."

"You two are thinking ten steps ahead. That's being negative." My lips twist in disagreement.

"No, we're just being realistic. Pretty sure, things would be awkward for everyone. I don't want that to happen, because I'm so close to your family. Megan is like a second mother to me. Aside from Julia, Brooke is like my little sister. And you..."

"Don't say it. It would kill me now if you say you think of me as your older brother."

"I thought you think of me as your younger sister."

"Never. I always think of you as my sister's best friend. You're like a sun, you brighten the house when you're around. The atmosphere becomes lively, and everyone's laughing."

"So, I'm like a clown," she laughs.

I shrug my shoulders, "an exquisite, captivating clown. I knew you would be a knockout so I keep my heart guarded from you all the time, especially when I came back during lockdown."

"Stop kidding me Gray, you came home heartbroken. You can't possibly reconsider that easily. You've been so in love with Sasha, you were planning to marry her."

I told her what really happened. Sasha's infidelity, her way of getting the promotion to advance her career.

"Like what you felt for Archer, my love, trust and respect for her are gone. I easily moved on and forgot about her. It's not worth it, to sulk, cry and be miserable. I regret the wasted time, but that's life. You learn from the experience and become a better person."

"I don't understand why people cheat. Why can't they just be honest and loyal to their partners? I would never do that. I believe in karma."

"That makes the two of us. So if we're in a relationship, we'll never break up because we won't cheat."

"That's not the only big factor that couple breaks up. There are trust issues, incompatibilities, lack of communication, neglect, abuse, infertility.."

"I'm sure we can sort them out easily. I know you so well, Rox, and I know we're compatible in many aspects. We could be so good for each other."

She sat down, hugging her knees. Her uncertainty is very clear on her face.
"Hey..." I sat down, then pulled her back against my chest. Being close to her, feeling the heat of her body against mine is like in heaven. "If Julia worries you, then we'll talk to her. She may freak out in the beginning, but eventually she will learn to accept it."

She elbows my tummy, making me flinch a little.

"Now, whose thinking ten steps ahead. I haven't told you I like you, and you're already making a plan."

"I'm a positive thinker, and not a quitter. I'm going to woo you until you'll like me."

She smiles, holding my eyes. "How will you woo me?"

"I'll start by giving you a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts every day."

"Nah, too sweet. I will have diabetes."

"How about sushi? You love sushi."

"Yeah, I love that," her eyes twinkles like little stars.

"So you won't say you like me now, huh?" I groan.

"Are you complaining already?"

"Of course not. It's just that I've been dying to kiss you again."

She looks shy, then looks away. "It's getting too late. We have an early shoot tomorrow for the outro, right?"

"Right. Come on." I take her hand and she doesn't flinch away.

She may never admit her feelings for me, but the spark between is so real.