Part 1

Anna and Kristoff

"Anna?" Kristoff called after closing the door to their palace apartments. When no one answered, he repeated in a raised voice, "Oh, Annaaaa!"

"Just a minute!" came his wife's perky voice from their bedroom. A moment later, he heard some bumping and groaning sounds, peppered now and then by "Ow!" "Aw!" and "Damn it, that hurt!"

"Anna? What are you doing?" Kristoff said, even as he stepped towards the bedroom door, intending to simply go in.

"Don't come in here yet!" came Anna's muffled shout, correctly guessing what her husband was planning. "It's a surprise! Don't you like surprises?"

"I hate surprises," muttered Kristoff under his breath but did what Anna said anyway. He retraced his steps back to their sitting room and had just plopped himself satisfactorily on a large couch when he heard a loud crash from the bedroom followed by Anna's scream. "Anna!" In a flash, Kristoff was on his feet and was in their bedroom.

He found Anna standing on the far side of the room looking shaken but unhurt, while at their feet sprawled what looked to be the remains of a very large gilded mirror. Gingerly, Kristoff stepped over the mess in order to reach his wife.

"Are you injured?" he said, quite redundantly because he was already finding out the answer for himself. After he finished inspecting Anna from the top of her head down the soles of her feet, he looked at the mess on the floor again. "How did that even get in here?" he said to himself and was completely flabbergasted when Anna burst into tears.

"I'm-I'm sorry, I meant it as a surprise, but-but the stupidthing was so heavy and its weight wasn't distributed evenly and-and-you arrived before it was ready, and I panicked-and I-I wanted this to be a nice experience! Now who's... who's gonna clean this up?" Anna sobbed into her hands.

"Hey, hey," Kristoff said, wrapping her in his arms. "It's okay... you could always ask Olaf to roll over the broken glass-his body would pick them all right up."

"Olaf's not a lint roller, Kristoff!" Anna sniffed while slapping Kristoff's arm. He didn't mind-that made Anna stop crying. "Will you please help me?"

"Of course, Anna, whatever you need."

Anna almost didn't have to do anything because Kristoff kept her away from tasks that were even remotely dangerous. In the end, they managed to wrap all the sharp bits into a thick bedspread. They swept the floor of any errant shards and deposited their mess into the palace hallway for a servant to take out. They left a note indicating what was inside the sheets, just in case someone tries to investigate the contents and end up getting hurt.

Exhausted, Kristoff returned to the couch he'd had to abandon earlier. Anna plopped down beside him, still pouting. He hugged her from the side.

"Are you going to tell me what the surprise was about?" he said playfully, trying to cheer her up. "I mean, I have my ideas-a mirror, eh?-but I'd like to hear you confirm them all the same."

Anna pretended to throw Kristoff an annoyed look but it melted quickly into a sheepish smile. "Aren't you curious?"

"Abooout?" said Kristoff naughtily, drawing out the question.

Anna thumped him lightly in the chest. "About what we look like."

"Look like... when?" Kristoff persisted.

He received a more painful thump for his efforts. "Kristoff!"

"Okay, okay, alright. Yes. Definitely, I'm curious. Are you kidding? I wish I thought of that."

Anna sighed. "And it took a lot of effort to even find that mirror in this whole palace, let alone drag it here without anyone seeing me. Quite a feat with all these guests around. Now... ohw-what are we gonna do?"

They were silent for a few heartbeats. Anna thought Kristoff was simply commiserating with her, but he'd actually been trying to solve the question she'd posed.